From: Michael Orlitzky <mjo@g.o>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] FYI: Daily / weekly / monthly cron jobs run twice on DST - non-DST transition
Date: Sun, 29 Oct 2017 13:16:18
1 On 10/29/2017 07:46 AM, Remy Blank wrote:
2 >
3 > I attached a patch to the bug, but considering how old the bug is, and
4 > from the tone of the discussion there, I have little hope that it gets
5 > applied. If you would like to see this fixed, it may be worth chiming in
6 > on the bug. Or if you're a kind Gentoo developer listening to affected
7 > users, to take action.
10 If only it were that easy. First: vapier is the only member of the cron
11 project, and he's happy with the way cronbase works.
12
13 And then the real issue: no one knows what our cronbase is doing, and it
14 does whatever it does all wrong -- but some people are probably relying
15 on it. My proposal was to make cronbase stupider, with something like
16
17 9 5 * * * root find /etc/cron.daily -execdir '{}' \;
18
19 That says: run everthing in cron.daily[0], every day, at 05:09. It does
20 exactly that: it has DST issues, if your machine is off the jobs won't
21 run, etc. But it's predictably stupid and works as advertised, unlike
22 the run-crons shell script we have now.
23
24 Do you need something smarter? Install anacron, fcron, cronie, or
25 whatever. But the worst thing we can do is try to mimic those
26 intelligent crons and have it fail to do so randomly. That's still your
27 best option, by the way: rewrite your crontab to avoid run-crons, and
28 install a smart cron implementation that does what you want.
32 [0] In practice, you would want to pass "-type f", "-executable", and
33 "-maxdepth 1" to the "find" command as well.