From: Ramces Tampo-og Red <rtr@××××××××.xyz>
To: Peter Humphrey <peter@××××××××××××.uk>, gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Reproducible Installation Lists?
Date: Sat, 26 Feb 2022 22:48:02
1 Peter Humphrey <peter@××××××××××××.uk> writes:
2
3 > On Saturday, 26 February 2022 14:19:15 GMT Ramces Tampo-og Red wrote:
4 >
5 > --->8
6 >
7 >> After reading the responses in the thread, this appears to be one way to
8 >> do it. Though I think adding it to a set could be a cleaner way? I
9 >> haven't tried all of the suggestions yet.
10 >
11 > In passing, I thought I'd mention that I keep most of my packages in sets:
12 > core, base, xorg, plasma, apps and utils. My world file only gets used for
13 > temporary or experimental things: it has one entry at the moment.
16 This is very interesting. I've read a bit about sets a while ago and I'd
17 say I should really try it out.
18
19 > I did that because of the frequency of reinstalling the system during the
20 > worst of plasma's instability.
21 >
22 >> > Oh - and for quite a while I used the -b -k flags a lot, mostly emerging
23 >> > on the slower system actually then installing the binary on the fast
24 >> > one. Sounds odd, but the faster, newer system had a habit of crashing
25 >> > during an emerge ... Both systems now gone to the Computer Centre in the
26 >> > Sky :-)
27 >>
28 >> That is certainly odd. You would assume that the faster system would be
29 >> the one compiling stuff for the slower one. I've been thinking of buying
30 >> a couple of old desktops for the sole purpose of being distcc slaves but
31 >> I don't know how much that would improve the compile times.
32 >
33 > Counter-intuitive, to say the least, and certainly not the way I do it.
36 Yeah, I was just thinking about that since building a powerful, new
37 computer around my area is prohibitively expensive. But getting old,
38 prebuilt computers is ludicrously cheap. I figured that I can get a few
39 of them for $50-75 and just plug them to an ethernet switch to do the
40 compiling for me.
41
42 > --
43 > Regards,
44 > Peter.
51 . * +
52 + Ang kalayaan ay dili gihatag, ini'y giabot.
53 * + {gopher,gemini}://kalayaan.xyz *
54 . C4AE 5D53 46A0 01DF 6E92 CB46 92D7 9FBB AB9F 3E37 .