From: Nikos Chantziaras <realnc@×××××.de>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: mplayer does not have man page & output info is chinese
Date: Thu, 04 Feb 2010 05:54:50
1 On 02/04/2010 06:50 AM, Xi Shen wrote:
2 > On Thu, Feb 4, 2010 at 12:07 PM, Xi Shen<davidshen84@××××××××××.com> wrote:
3 >> hi,
4 >>
5 >> my system is gentoo amd64. my /etc/env.d/01locale is empty. after i
6 >> compiled mplayer, the output info is chinese, and i cannot read it
7 >> console, even though i can read it in the xterm. how to make the
8 >> output to english?
9 >>
10 >> in my /etc/locale.gen file, i do have chinese support.
13 >> and, my mplayer does not have man page. i tried to add the 'doc' use
14 >> flag, but it does not have affect.
15 >
16 > ok, i figured it out myself. i double checked my environment, and
17 > found that the LC_CTYPE was set the "en_US.UTF8". but i do not
18 > understand why it compiles my 'mplayer' to display chinese. after i
19 > changed the LC_CTYPE value to "en_US" and recompile 'mplayer', the
20 > output info becomes english, and the man page is back.
21
22 On Gentoo, the languages a program supports is controlled by the list of
23 languages specified in the LINGUAS variable in /etc/make.conf. This is
24 because most software can support more than one language. If your
25 LINGUAS includes Chinese, mplayer will be compiled with support for Chinese.
26
27 The language used when the program is running is controlled by the
28 LC_ALL and LANG environment variables. This is usually set in
29 /etc/env.d/02locale. If you can't see Chinese in your console but can
30 in an xterm, that means your console is using a font that does not
31 support the encoding of LC_ALL or does not have Chinese characters in
32 it. You will need to load a console font with Chinese support. The
33 console font is usually specified in /etc/conf.d/consolefont.