From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Any big gotcha's when update from several (5) mnths
Date: Thu, 15 Sep 2011 00:17:51
1 Mark Knecht wrote:
2 > On Wed, Sep 14, 2011 at 4:46 PM, Neil Bothwick<neil@××××××××××.uk> wrote:
3 >> On Wed, 14 Sep 2011 15:37:15 -0700, Mark Knecht wrote:
4 >>
5 >>> 3) Do the rest of the work
6 >>>
7 >>> emerge -fDuN @world
8 >>> emerge -pvDuN @world
9 >>>
10 >>> Fix USE flag issues, if any
11 >>>
12 >>> 4) Do the build
13 >>>
14 >>> emerge -DuN -j13 @world
15 >> There's not point in doing the fetch first, portage has done parallel
16 >> fetching for some time - it's faster to let the distfiles download while
17 >> the first package is compiling.
18 >>
19 >> emerge -auDN @world covers all of that - except the -j which is
20 >> system-dependent.
23 >> --
24 >> Neil Bothwick
25 > Quite true about the parallel fetch, but I still do this anyway
26 > because I want to know all the code is local before I start. With 12
27 > processor cores I often build the first file before the second has
28 > been downloaded. Also I don't want to start a big build, say 50-70
29 > updates, and then find out an hour later when I come back that some
30 > portage mirror choked on finding a specific file and the whole thing
31 > died 10 minutes in. This way I have a better chance of getting to the
32 > end in one pass.
33 >
34 > Anyway, it works well for this old dog, and in my mind there is a good
35 > reason to fetch before building but I can see how others might not
36 > want to do that.
37 >
38 > - Mark
42 tail -f /var/log/emerge-fetch.log
43
44 That way you can be compiling and watching the fetching process at the
45 same time. If something fails, it'll be printer there. I use it all
46 the time here. I only have 4 cores here tho. :-P
47
48 Dale
49