From: Mark Knecht <markknecht@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Any big gotcha's when update from several (5) mnths
Date: Thu, 15 Sep 2011 00:09:22
1 On Wed, Sep 14, 2011 at 4:46 PM, Neil Bothwick <neil@××××××××××.uk> wrote:
2 > On Wed, 14 Sep 2011 15:37:15 -0700, Mark Knecht wrote:
3 >
4 >> 3) Do the rest of the work
5 >>
6 >> emerge -fDuN @world
7 >> emerge -pvDuN @world
8 >>
9 >> Fix USE flag issues, if any
10 >>
11 >> 4) Do the build
12 >>
13 >> emerge -DuN -j13 @world
14 >
15 > There's not point in doing the fetch first, portage has done parallel
16 > fetching for some time - it's faster to let the distfiles download while
17 > the first package is compiling.
18 >
19 > emerge -auDN @world covers all of that - except the -j which is
20 > system-dependent.
23 > --
24 > Neil Bothwick
25
26 Quite true about the parallel fetch, but I still do this anyway
27 because I want to know all the code is local before I start. With 12
28 processor cores I often build the first file before the second has
29 been downloaded. Also I don't want to start a big build, say 50-70
30 updates, and then find out an hour later when I come back that some
31 portage mirror choked on finding a specific file and the whole thing
32 died 10 minutes in. This way I have a better chance of getting to the
33 end in one pass.
34
35 Anyway, it works well for this old dog, and in my mind there is a good
36 reason to fetch before building but I can see how others might not
37 want to do that.
38
39 - Mark