From: Neil Bothwick <neil@××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Any big gotcha's when update from several (5) mnths
Date: Thu, 15 Sep 2011 06:51:55
1 On Wed, 14 Sep 2011 17:07:45 -0700, Mark Knecht wrote:
2
3 > > There's not point in doing the fetch first, portage has done parallel
4 > > fetching for some time - it's faster to let the distfiles download
5 > > while the first package is compiling.
6 > >
7 > > emerge -auDN @world covers all of that - except the -j which is
8 > > system-dependent.
9
10 > Quite true about the parallel fetch, but I still do this anyway
11 > because I want to know all the code is local before I start. With 12
12 > processor cores I often build the first file before the second has
13 > been downloaded. Also I don't want to start a big build, say 50-70
14 > updates, and then find out an hour later when I come back that some
15 > portage mirror choked on finding a specific file and the whole thing
16 > died 10 minutes in. This way I have a better chance of getting to the
17 > end in one pass.
18
19 --keep-going will take care of that, and making sure there are for F
20 flags in the --ask output before hitting Y.
21
22 > Anyway, it works well for this old dog, and in my mind there is a good
23 > reason to fetch before building but I can see how others might not
24 > want to do that.
25
26 I use it too, but for a different reason. I run emerge --sync from a cron
27 script, followed by emerge -f world, so all the tarballs are downloaded
28 before I even start.
32 Neil Bothwick
33
34 Master of all I survey (at the moment, empty pizza boxes)