From: Mark Knecht <markknecht@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Any big gotcha's when update from several (5) mnths
Date: Thu, 15 Sep 2011 16:30:12
1 On Wed, Sep 14, 2011 at 11:50 PM, Neil Bothwick <neil@××××××××××.uk> wrote:
2 > On Wed, 14 Sep 2011 17:07:45 -0700, Mark Knecht wrote:
3 >
4 >> > There's not point in doing the fetch first, portage has done parallel
5 >> > fetching for some time - it's faster to let the distfiles download
6 >> > while the first package is compiling.
7 >> >
8 >> > emerge -auDN @world covers all of that - except the -j which is
9 >> > system-dependent.
10 >
11 >> Quite true about the parallel fetch, but I still do this anyway
12 >> because I want to know all the code is local before I start. With 12
13 >> processor cores I often build the first file before the second has
14 >> been downloaded. Also I don't want to start a big build, say 50-70
15 >> updates, and then find out an hour later when I come back that some
16 >> portage mirror choked on finding a specific file and the whole thing
17 >> died 10 minutes in. This way I have a better chance of getting to the
18 >> end in one pass.
19 >
20 > --keep-going will take care of that, and making sure there are for F
21 > flags in the --ask output before hitting Y.
22 >
23 >> Anyway, it works well for this old dog, and in my mind there is a good
24 >> reason to fetch before building but I can see how others might not
25 >> want to do that.
26 >
27 > I use it too, but for a different reason. I run emerge --sync from a cron
28 > script, followed by emerge -f world, so all the tarballs are downloaded
29 > before I even start.
32 OK, sorry for offering my opinion. I'll just go away an not bother anyone.
33
34 Bye