From: Joerg.Schilling@fokus.fraunhofer.de (Joerg Schilling)
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] CD/DVD burning tools?
Date: Mon, 23 Jun 2008 18:55:02
1 Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com> wrote:
2
3 > I use cdrkit because I'm sick of listening to eternal bickering about
4 > licensing issues. So I use the project whose license, and
5 > interpretation of the license, seemed to me to be the project that
6 > would make the pedantry just go away and not feature in my life.
7
8 I am not sure whether you really intend to say this and if you did understand
9 thing correctly.....
10
11 The license of the original cdrtools has been examined by specialized lawyers
12 and these lawyers did not see any license problem in the original software.
13
14 The license of the fork "cdrkit" has not been verified by experts. If you
15 follow the claims from the people behind "cdrkit" on how the GPL has to be
16 interpreted for cdrtools, then cdrkit would be illegal.
17 This is because these people claim that GPLd software needs to be build with
18 a GPLd build system and this build system needs to be delivered with the source.
19 The "cdrkit project" however uses a 4 clause BSD build sytstem that is not
20 delivered together with the source....
21
22 My question to you would be:
23
24 Do you like to support software like cdrkit that is published by people who
25 attack other OSS projects?
28 If you like to get rid of the license debates, you need to help to prevent the
29 license attacks done by the people behind cdrkit. I am just a victim of these
30 attacks and the Linux users who are forced to live with > 50 unfixed bugs in the
31 fork are also victims of this attack.
32
33 Check the bug data bases from the Linux distributors who publish cdrkit instead
34 of cdrtools and you will see that many serious bugs exist in the fork since more
35 than a year and nobody is interested to fix the bugs. The original cdrtools
36 software does not have known bugs. So why do you like use software with known
37 bugs?
38
39 Jörg
42 EMail:joerg@××××××××××××××××××××××××.de (home) Jörg Schilling D-13353 Berlin