From: Laurence Perkins <lperkins@×××××××.net>
To: "gentoo-user@l.g.o" <gentoo-user@l.g.o>
Subject: RE: [gentoo-user] gnu-screen split region can't invoke shell
Date: Tue, 01 Mar 2022 15:21:21
1 Note also that “regions” aren’t actually full children of sessions. If you set up a bunch of regions in a session in one terminal, and then attach to that same session in a different terminal, the only evidence of the regions will be the odd sizes of some of the windows. So you can have the same screen session attached from different places with different region layouts simultaneously.
2
3 LMP
4
5 From: russian sky <russia_sky@×××××××.com>
6 Sent: Tuesday, March 1, 2022 5:21 AM
7 To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
8 Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] gnu-screen split region can't invoke shell
9
10 > As far as I know you need to use 'Ctrl-a n' to move the screen focus > into the next region of the split screen and then 'Ctrl-a c' to start > a window in this split region with a shell in it. Otherwise it > remains empty. > > You could also use 'Ctrl-a 0' to display the content of the first > region of the screen in the second split region - mirroring what the > first region shows. > > 'Ctrl-a tab' switches focus between regions. 'Ctrl-a n' switches the > displayed window within a region to the next window which has an > active shell in it, within the screen session. Instead of 'n' for > next, or 'p' for previous, you can enter the number of the window, > with 0 being the first window in the screen session. > > I'm not sure if I explained it an understandable way, but I think > with a bit of experimentation you'll soon understand how screen > sessions, windows with shells and split regions work.
11
12 After rereading the info(gnu-screen) manual, which indeed clarifies that
13
14 'Ctrl-a S' will generate a blank window.
15
16 It works after following your advice, thanks
20 The gnu-screen runs a litte bit different from tmux which make me
21
22 confusing. Good thing is the structure
23
24 (sessions --->>> regions --->>> windows) becomes clear, thanks again