From: Jules Colding <colding@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Audigy 2 ZS [SB0350] problems on AMD64
Date: Sat, 23 Jul 2005 10:10:06
1 On Fri, 2005-07-22 at 18:28 -0700, Bob Sanders wrote:
2 > On Fri, 22 Jul 2005 18:12:02 +0200
3 > Jules Colding <colding@×××××.com> wrote:
6 > > I have the above mentioned sound card installed in my dual 252 Opteron.
7 > > I have enabled ALSA and OSS emulation in the kernel and everything is
8 > > compiled in, no alsa modules. The card is correctly detected on boot-up
9 > > and apparently activated.
10 > > i
11 >
12 > OSS should not be selected in the kernel. Only alsa. For Oss, you need
13 > to emerge - media-libs/alsa-oss
14
15 I did not select OSS, only the ALSA emulation option. I am now trying
16 media-sound/alsa-driver 1.0.9b with the same results.
19 > > Everything seems to be configured correctly according to the alsa guide.
20 > > The problem is that I am only hearing cyclically repeating clicks, with
21 > > weak static noise in-between, when I am trying to play music. I have a
22 > > set of analog 2.1 speakers connected to the analog output jack on the
23 > > card.
26 > Repeating clicks is usually an indication of empty audio buffers. It means
27 > your system can't keep the sound card supplied with data. You might be
28 > able to get some help by making your kernel preemptible -
29
30 If the kernel isn't able to keep the audio buffers full, isn't that
31 something that would only happen with a slow system? I have a dual
32 Opteron 252 so I didn't thought that preemptible was needed for my
33 system. Anyway, I'll try it.
34
35 > Symbol: PREEMPT [=y] x
36 > Prompt: Preemptible Kernel x
37 > Defined at arch/x86_64/Kconfig:210 x
38 > Location: x
39 > -> Processor type and features
40 >
41 > The weak static noise is digital garbage being picked up by the SB. If it's
42 > not already, move it to the last PCI slot on the bus - as far away from the
43 > other cards and cpu as possible.
44
45 It is in the last slot I'm afraid...
46
47 > > Any ideas why this doesn't work?
50 > SB Audigy cards aren't the best sounding cards out there. They are OK, but
51 > if you mainly want music, look elsewhere. If you're mainly interested in games
52 > they work fine.
55 Thanks,
56 jules
60 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list