From: Bob Sanders <rmsand@××××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Audigy 2 ZS [SB0350] problems on AMD64
Date: Sat, 23 Jul 2005 01:32:45
1 On Fri, 22 Jul 2005 18:12:02 +0200
2 Jules Colding <colding@×××××.com> wrote:
5 > I have the above mentioned sound card installed in my dual 252 Opteron.
6 > I have enabled ALSA and OSS emulation in the kernel and everything is
7 > compiled in, no alsa modules. The card is correctly detected on boot-up
8 > and apparently activated.
9 > i
10
11 OSS should not be selected in the kernel. Only alsa. For Oss, you need
12 to emerge - media-libs/alsa-oss
13
14 > Everything seems to be configured correctly according to the alsa guide.
15 > The problem is that I am only hearing cyclically repeating clicks, with
16 > weak static noise in-between, when I am trying to play music. I have a
17 > set of analog 2.1 speakers connected to the analog output jack on the
18 > card.
21 Repeating clicks is usually an indication of empty audio buffers. It means
22 your system can't keep the sound card supplied with data. You might be
23 able to get some help by making your kernel preemptible -
24
25 Symbol: PREEMPT [=y] x
26 Prompt: Preemptible Kernel x
27 Defined at arch/x86_64/Kconfig:210 x
28 Location: x
29 -> Processor type and features
30
31 The weak static noise is digital garbage being picked up by the SB. If it's
32 not already, move it to the last PCI slot on the bus - as far away from the
33 other cards and cpu as possible.
34
35 > Any ideas why this doesn't work?
38 SB Audigy cards aren't the best sounding cards out there. They are OK, but
39 if you mainly want music, look elsewhere. If you're mainly interested in games
40 they work fine.
41
42 Bob
43 -