From: Florian Philipp <lists@×××××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] {OT} Are "push" backups flawed?
Date: Fri, 11 Nov 2011 19:16:05
1 Am 11.11.2011 19:56, schrieb Pandu Poluan:
2 >
3 > On Nov 12, 2011 1:39 AM, "Grant" <emailgrant@×××××.com
4 > <mailto:emailgrant@×××××.com>> wrote:
5 >>
6 >> >> A little while ago I set up an automated backup system to back up the
7 >> >> data from 3 machines to a backup server. I decided to use a
8 >> >> push-style layout where the 3 machines push their data to the backup
9 >> >> server. Public SSH keys for the 3 machines are stored on the backup
10 >> >> server and restricted to the rdiff-backup command. Each of the 3
11 >> >> machines pushes their data to the backup server as a different user
12 >> >> and the top directory of each backup is chmod 700 to prevent any of
13 >> >> the 3 machines from reading or writing a backup from another machine.
14 >> >>
15 >> >> I've run into a problem with this layout that I can't seem to solve,
16 >> >> and I'm wondering if I should switch to a pull-style layout where the
17 >> >> backup server pulls data from each of the 3 machines.
18 >> >>
19 >> >> The problem with my current push-style layout is that if one of the 3
20 >> >> machines is compromised, the attacker can delete or alter the backup
21 >> >> of the compromised machine on the backup server. I can rsync the
22 >> >> backups from the backup server to another machine, but if the backups
23 >> >> are deleted or altered on the backup server, the rsync'ed copy on the
24 >> >> next machine will also be deleted or altered.
25 >> >>
26 >> >> If I run a pull-style layout and the backup server is compromised, the
27 >> >> attacker would have root read access to each of the 3 machines, but
28 >> >> the attacker would already have access to backups from each of the 3
29 >> >> machines stored on the backup server itself so that's not really an
30 >> >> issue. I would also have the added inconvenience of using openvpn or
31 >> >> ssh -R for my laptop so the backup server can pull from it through any
32 >> >> router.
33 >> >>
34 >> >> What do you think guys? Are push-style backups flawed and
35 > unacceptable?
36 >> >>
37 >> >
38 >> > No, it's not flawed, as long as the implementation is right:
39 > versioning and
40 >> > deduplication.
41 >> >
42 >> > With versioning, an attacker (or infiltrator, in this matter) might
43 > try to
44 >> > taint the backup, but all she can do is just push a new version to the
45 >> > server. You can recover your data by reverting to a prior version.
46 >>
47 >> Is that true? Wouldn't the infiltrator be able to craft some sort of
48 >> rdiff-backup command that deletes the entire backup? I can't come up
49 >> with such a command myself, but I thought I was essentially giving
50 >> full read/write access of a system's backup to an infiltrator by
51 >> putting that system's public key on the backup server. I do restrict
52 >> the key like command="rdiff-backup --server" but I didn't expect that
53 >> to completely prevent the backup from being wiped out. Does it?
54 >>
55 >> - Grant
58 >> > The deduplication part is only to save storage space. It's less
59 > necessary if
60 >> > you have a robust versioning system that can categorize each push as
61 > either
62 >> > canonical/perpetual/permanent or ephemeral/temporary. The system can
63 > just
64 >> > discard old ephemeral pushes when storage becomes critical.
67 > Just an illustration: My employer will soon do a PoC/Live Demo of this
68 > product:
69 >
70 > http://www.atempo.com/products/liveBackup/features.asp
71 >
72 > Only an 'agent' lives inside the employee's workstation. It pushes all
73 > writes to certain folders to the server, and able to request 'reverts'
74 > to their local copy, but the server's archives are immutable.
75 >
76 > Unfortunately, said product only supports Windows and Macs. I'm still on
77 > the lookout for something similar for Linux.
78 >
79 > (For pure text files, a git/mercurial server would be enough, though.)
80 >
81 > Rgds,
84 Isn't Bacula something like this?
85 http://www.bacula.org/en/dev-manual/main/main/What_is_Bacula.html#SECTION00220000000000000000
86
87 Hint: "File server" actually is the client that is backed up.