From: Jack <ostroffjh@×××××××××××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Firefox, downloading files and odd behavior.
Date: Mon, 07 Jan 2019 16:30:53
1 On 2019.01.07 05:46, Dale wrote:
2 > Peter Humphrey wrote:
3 > > On Sunday, 6 January 2019 22:13:31 GMT Dale wrote:
4 > >
5 > >> Even from my simple setup, LVM adds more benefits to managing data
6 > and
7 > >> drives than it does risk. The biggest thing, placing blame where
8 > it
9 > >> lies. Blaming LVM for a drive dying is placing the blame on
10 > something
11 > >> that wasn't the root of the problem. The dying drive was the
12 > problem,
13 > >> using LVM or not.
14 > > He isn't doing that, though. As I read it, he recounted the tale of
15 > recovering
16 > > data from a failed drive, then imagined how much worse it would be
17 > if it were
18 > > in an LVM setup. [Reported speech and mixed-up tenses causing me a
19 > problem
20 > > here...]
21 > >
22 > > Thanks Gevisz, that was interesting. What we used to call a
23 > cautionary tale.
26 > From what I've read, that can be overcome.  If you get say a SMART
27 > message that a drive is failing, just remove that drive or remove the
28 > whole LVM setup and use something else until a working drive setup can
29 > be made.  Once ready, then move the data, if the drive still works, to
30 > the new drive.  That is basically what I did when I swapped a smaller
31 > drive for a larger one.  I moved the data from one drive to another.
32 > It
33 > did it fairly quickly.  Someone posted that it may even be faster to
34 > do
35 > it with LVM's pvmove than it is with cp or rsync.  I don't know how
36 > true
37 > that is but from what I've read, it moves the data really
38 > efficiently.
39 > If the drive has a very limited time before failure, speed is
40 > important.  If the drive is completely dead, replace the drive and
41 > hope
42 > the backups are good.  Either way, LVM or not, a failing drive is a
43 > failing drive.  The data has to be moved if the drive still works or
44 > the
45 > data is gone if it just up and dies.  The biggest thing, watching the
46 > SMART messages about the health of the drive.  In the past when I've
47 > had
48 > a drive fail, I got error messages well ahead of time.  On one drive,
49 > I
50 > removed the drive, set it aside, ordered a replacement drive,
51 > installed
52 > both drives and copied the data over.  After I did all that, I played
53 > with the drive until it failed a day or so later.  Lucky?  Most
54 > likely.
55 > Still, it gave me time to transfer things over.
56 >
57 > While I get that LVM adds a layer to things, it also adds some options
58 > as well.  Those options can prove helpful if one uses them.
59 >
60 > Just my thinking.
61 >
62 > Dale
63 The only problem with all that is that SMART is far from completely
64 reliable. I recently had a drive fail, and the resulting fsck on the
65 next reboot messed up many files. (Not a Gentoo system, although I
66 don't think that made any difference.) After getting running again, I
67 did several SMART tests, including the full self-test, and it reported
68 ZERO errors. A few weeks later, it did the same thing, and shortly
69 after that, it failed totally. I had done a few more full self-tests
70 before final failure, and all came back clean. I'd really love to find
71 out there was something I did wrong in the testing, but I don't think
72 so. I have not yet completely given up on trying to recover stuff from
73 that drive, but as time goes on, there is less and less that I haven't
74 rebuilt or replaced by re-downloading or changing lost passwords, so
75 it's less and less important. (That was a different drive from the one
76 I messed up myself, as discussed in another recent thread here.)
77
78 Jack