From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Firefox, downloading files and odd behavior.
Date: Mon, 07 Jan 2019 19:35:48
1 Jack wrote:
2 > On 2019.01.07 05:46, Dale wrote:
3 >> Peter Humphrey wrote:
4 >> > On Sunday, 6 January 2019 22:13:31 GMT Dale wrote:
5 >> >
6 >> >> Even from my simple setup, LVM adds more benefits to managing data
7 >> and
8 >> >> drives than it does risk.  The biggest thing, placing blame where it
9 >> >> lies.  Blaming LVM for a drive dying is placing the blame on
10 >> something
11 >> >> that wasn't the root of the problem.  The dying drive was the
12 >> problem,
13 >> >> using LVM or not.
14 >> > He isn't doing that, though. As I read it, he recounted the tale of
15 >> recovering
16 >> > data from a failed drive, then imagined how much worse it would be
17 >> if it were
18 >> > in an LVM setup. [Reported speech and mixed-up tenses causing me a
19 >> problem
20 >> > here...]
21 >> >
22 >> > Thanks Gevisz, that was interesting. What we used to call a
23 >> cautionary tale.
24 >> >
25 >>
26 >> From what I've read, that can be overcome.  If you get say a SMART
27 >> message that a drive is failing, just remove that drive or remove the
28 >> whole LVM setup and use something else until a working drive setup can
29 >> be made.  Once ready, then move the data, if the drive still works, to
30 >> the new drive.  That is basically what I did when I swapped a smaller
31 >> drive for a larger one.  I moved the data from one drive to another.  It
32 >> did it fairly quickly.  Someone posted that it may even be faster to do
33 >> it with LVM's pvmove than it is with cp or rsync.  I don't know how true
34 >> that is but from what I've read, it moves the data really efficiently.
35 >> If the drive has a very limited time before failure, speed is
36 >> important.  If the drive is completely dead, replace the drive and hope
37 >> the backups are good.  Either way, LVM or not, a failing drive is a
38 >> failing drive.  The data has to be moved if the drive still works or the
39 >> data is gone if it just up and dies.  The biggest thing, watching the
40 >> SMART messages about the health of the drive.  In the past when I've had
41 >> a drive fail, I got error messages well ahead of time.  On one drive, I
42 >> removed the drive, set it aside, ordered a replacement drive, installed
43 >> both drives and copied the data over.  After I did all that, I played
44 >> with the drive until it failed a day or so later.  Lucky?  Most likely.
45 >> Still, it gave me time to transfer things over.
46 >>
47 >> While I get that LVM adds a layer to things, it also adds some options
48 >> as well.  Those options can prove helpful if one uses them.
49 >>
50 >> Just my thinking.
51 >>
52 >> Dale
53 > The only problem with all that is that SMART is far from completely
54 > reliable.  I recently had a drive fail, and the resulting fsck on the
55 > next reboot messed up many files.  (Not a Gentoo system, although I
56 > don't think that made any difference.)  After getting running again, I
57 > did several SMART tests, including the full self-test, and it reported
58 > ZERO errors.  A few weeks later, it did the same thing, and shortly
59 > after that, it failed totally.  I had done a few more full self-tests
60 > before final failure, and all came back clean.  I'd really love to
61 > find out there was something I did wrong in the testing, but I don't
62 > think so.  I have not yet completely given up on trying to recover
63 > stuff from that drive, but as time goes on, there is less and less
64 > that I haven't rebuilt or replaced by re-downloading or changing lost
65 > passwords, so it's less and less important.  (That was a different
66 > drive from the one I messed up myself, as discussed in another recent
67 > thread here.)
68 >
69 > Jack
73 But do you have any other way to get a warning?  It may not work every
74 time, especially if the spindle motor just up and dies all of a sudden
75 but it does detect some errors.  It is certainly better than having
76 nothing at all.  So far, SMART has detected errors and warned me for the
77 two drives I've had fail.  My neighbor had a drive to fail and it gave
78 warnings as well, during boot up but SMART still spit our errors.  Thing
79 is, the owner ignored it until it wouldn't boot anymore.  By that time,
80 it was toast.  They ran windoze.  When SMART does warn, it pays to
81 listen.  ;-)  Mine emails me when any error is reported.
82
83 Thing is, a bad drive will always risk the loss of data.  Always has.
84 Monitoring SMART is better than nothing and generally gives some
85 warning.  It's not perfect but there is nothing else that does any
86 better that I've heard or read about.  It's the reason everyone should
87 back up data they can't afford to lose.
88
89 Dale
90