From: Jack <ostroffjh@×××××××××××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Firefox, downloading files and odd behavior.
Date: Mon, 07 Jan 2019 20:59:47
1 On 2019.01.07 14:35, Dale wrote:
2 > Jack wrote:
3 > > On 2019.01.07 05:46, Dale wrote:
4 > >> Peter Humphrey wrote:
5 > >> > On Sunday, 6 January 2019 22:13:31 GMT Dale wrote:
6 > >> >
7 > >> >> Even from my simple setup, LVM adds more benefits to managing
8 > data
9 > >> and
10 > >> >> drives than it does risk.  The biggest thing, placing blame
11 > where it
12 > >> >> lies.  Blaming LVM for a drive dying is placing the blame on
13 > >> something
14 > >> >> that wasn't the root of the problem.  The dying drive was the
15 > >> problem,
16 > >> >> using LVM or not.
17 > >> > He isn't doing that, though. As I read it, he recounted the tale
18 > of
19 > >> recovering
20 > >> > data from a failed drive, then imagined how much worse it would
21 > be
22 > >> if it were
23 > >> > in an LVM setup. [Reported speech and mixed-up tenses causing me
24 > a
25 > >> problem
26 > >> > here...]
27 > >> >
28 > >> > Thanks Gevisz, that was interesting. What we used to call a
29 > >> cautionary tale.
30 > >> >
31 > >>
32 > >> From what I've read, that can be overcome.  If you get say a SMART
33 > >> message that a drive is failing, just remove that drive or remove
34 > the
35 > >> whole LVM setup and use something else until a working drive setup
36 > can
37 > >> be made.  Once ready, then move the data, if the drive still
38 > works, to
39 > >> the new drive.  That is basically what I did when I swapped a
40 > smaller
41 > >> drive for a larger one.  I moved the data from one drive to
42 > another.  It
43 > >> did it fairly quickly.  Someone posted that it may even be faster
44 > to do
45 > >> it with LVM's pvmove than it is with cp or rsync.  I don't know
46 > how true
47 > >> that is but from what I've read, it moves the data really
48 > efficiently.
49 > >> If the drive has a very limited time before failure, speed is
50 > >> important.  If the drive is completely dead, replace the drive and
51 > hope
52 > >> the backups are good.  Either way, LVM or not, a failing drive is a
53 > >> failing drive.  The data has to be moved if the drive still works
54 > or the
55 > >> data is gone if it just up and dies.  The biggest thing, watching
56 > the
57 > >> SMART messages about the health of the drive.  In the past when
58 > I've had
59 > >> a drive fail, I got error messages well ahead of time.  On one
60 > drive, I
61 > >> removed the drive, set it aside, ordered a replacement drive,
62 > installed
63 > >> both drives and copied the data over.  After I did all that, I
64 > played
65 > >> with the drive until it failed a day or so later.  Lucky?  Most
66 > likely.
67 > >> Still, it gave me time to transfer things over.
68 > >>
69 > >> While I get that LVM adds a layer to things, it also adds some
70 > options
71 > >> as well.  Those options can prove helpful if one uses them.
72 > >>
73 > >> Just my thinking.
74 > >>
75 > >> Dale
76 > > The only problem with all that is that SMART is far from completely
77 > > reliable.  I recently had a drive fail, and the resulting fsck on
78 > the
79 > > next reboot messed up many files.  (Not a Gentoo system, although I
80 > > don't think that made any difference.)  After getting running
81 > again, I
82 > > did several SMART tests, including the full self-test, and it
83 > reported
84 > > ZERO errors.  A few weeks later, it did the same thing, and shortly
85 > > after that, it failed totally.  I had done a few more full
86 > self-tests
87 > > before final failure, and all came back clean.  I'd really love to
88 > > find out there was something I did wrong in the testing, but I don't
89 > > think so.  I have not yet completely given up on trying to recover
90 > > stuff from that drive, but as time goes on, there is less and less
91 > > that I haven't rebuilt or replaced by re-downloading or changing
92 > lost
93 > > passwords, so it's less and less important.  (That was a different
94 > > drive from the one I messed up myself, as discussed in another
95 > recent
96 > > thread here.)
97 > >
98 > > Jack
102 > But do you have any other way to get a warning?  It may not work every
103 > time, especially if the spindle motor just up and dies all of a sudden
104 > but it does detect some errors.  It is certainly better than having
105 > nothing at all.  So far, SMART has detected errors and warned me for
106 > the
107 > two drives I've had fail.  My neighbor had a drive to fail and it gave
108 > warnings as well, during boot up but SMART still spit our errors.
109 > Thing
110 > is, the owner ignored it until it wouldn't boot anymore.  By that
111 > time,
112 > it was toast.  They ran windoze.  When SMART does warn, it pays to
113 > listen.  ;-)  Mine emails me when any error is reported.
114 >
115 > Thing is, a bad drive will always risk the loss of data.  Always has.
116 > Monitoring SMART is better than nothing and generally gives some
117 > warning.  It's not perfect but there is nothing else that does any
118 > better that I've heard or read about.  It's the reason everyone should
119 > back up data they can't afford to lose.
120 >
121 > Dale
122 >
124 I do agree it is better than nothing, and I agree if SMART warns you,
125 you better listen. I just wouldn't bet the farm (or even a small
126 garden) on it. I'm coming closer and closer to just mirroring
127 everything I can't easily recreate. It doubles my disk costs, but
128 should save me some future grief.