From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Firefox, downloading files and odd behavior.
Date: Mon, 07 Jan 2019 23:33:49
1 Jack wrote:
2 > On 2019.01.07 14:35, Dale wrote:
5 >> But do you have any other way to get a warning?  It may not work every
6 >> time, especially if the spindle motor just up and dies all of a sudden
7 >> but it does detect some errors.  It is certainly better than having
8 >> nothing at all.  So far, SMART has detected errors and warned me for the
9 >> two drives I've had fail.  My neighbor had a drive to fail and it gave
10 >> warnings as well, during boot up but SMART still spit our errors.  Thing
11 >> is, the owner ignored it until it wouldn't boot anymore.  By that time,
12 >> it was toast.  They ran windoze.  When SMART does warn, it pays to
13 >> listen.  ;-)  Mine emails me when any error is reported.
14 >>
15 >> Thing is, a bad drive will always risk the loss of data.  Always has.
16 >> Monitoring SMART is better than nothing and generally gives some
17 >> warning.  It's not perfect but there is nothing else that does any
18 >> better that I've heard or read about.  It's the reason everyone should
19 >> back up data they can't afford to lose.
20 >>
21 >> Dale
22 >>
23 >> :-)  :-)
24 > I do agree it is better than nothing, and I agree if SMART warns you,
25 > you better listen.  I just wouldn't bet the farm (or even a small
26 > garden) on it.  I'm coming closer and closer to just mirroring
27 > everything I can't easily recreate.  It doubles my disk costs, but
28 > should save me some future grief.
32 Currently, I have a 3TB and a 6TB drive using LVM.  It is mounted as a
33 roughly 8TB partition.  I have a external 8TB drive that I backup to,
34 over eSATA at the moment but it has a USB connection as well.  I also
35 have SMART set to email me at the first signs of trouble.  Hopefully I
36 will get a SMART warning.  If not, I hope my backups are up to date.  I
37 try to backup at least once a day.  The biggest thing I don't want to
38 lose is my emails and some videos.  Thing is, I have a plan B.  If a
39 drive gives me a warning, I've got a plan C as well.
40
41 I agree that we shouldn't bet the farm on anything.  There is always
42 something unexpected that can happen. Still, backups, surge protection,
43 UPS power, cloud storage for those who can.  Those are all options.
44 Just pick what works.  Hope for the best but be ready for the worst.
45
46 Dale
47