From: Zac Medico <zmedico@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Can't emerge www-client/mozilla-1.7.10-r1 (kernel bug?)
Date: Wed, 03 Aug 2005 08:00:53
1 Jules Colding wrote:
2 > On Tue, 2005-08-02 at 18:14 +0200, Richard Fish wrote:
3 >
4 >>Jules Colding wrote:
7 >>>I tried the aforementioned script just to see if that picked up
8 >>>anything. Lo and behold... it segfaulted in mkdir. I am beginning to
9 >>>suspect a subtle reiserfs (mounted with noatime and notail) bug as I am
10 >>>only seeing segfaults with mkdir and only under high load. There was
11 >>>something in /var/log/messages as well. Script, output, log and info
12 >>>below.
13 >>>
14 >>>
15 >>>
16 >>
17 >>Um, what version of reiserfs are we talking about here?
20 > Whatever is in gentoo-sources-2.6.12-r6. dmesg tells me that it is
21 > format "3.6".
25 >>I recall
26 >>reading recently on lkml (or maybe it was somewhere else..) reports that
27 >>reiser4 has known and serious problems on non-x86 platforms, and maybe
28 >>that extends to AMD64 as well....
31 > Yes, reiser4 is not quite stable yet.
34 >>If you are using the stable reiser3.6 (the only option available in the
35 >>gentoo-sources or vanilla-sources), well, I would be very surprised if
36 >>this was a bug there, because noatime and notail are very common options
37 >>and it is a very popular filesystem. I would put my money on bad ram or
38 >>memory timings in this case.
41 > I would expect other things to fail too if it was bad RAM or memory
42 > timings, right? The only failure scenario is mkdir under high load which
43 > to me points towards s specific problem area in the code. This is just
44 > an unqualified guess, naturally...
47 Can you reproduce the problem if you boot from a livecd? That could help settle the question of whether your problems are rooted in hardware or software.
48
49 Zac
50 --
51 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list