From: Jules Colding <colding@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Can't emerge www-client/mozilla-1.7.10-r1 (kernel bug?)
Date: Wed, 03 Aug 2005 07:37:51
1 On Tue, 2005-08-02 at 18:14 +0200, Richard Fish wrote:
2 > Jules Colding wrote:
3 >
4 > >I tried the aforementioned script just to see if that picked up
5 > >anything. Lo and behold... it segfaulted in mkdir. I am beginning to
6 > >suspect a subtle reiserfs (mounted with noatime and notail) bug as I am
7 > >only seeing segfaults with mkdir and only under high load. There was
8 > >something in /var/log/messages as well. Script, output, log and info
9 > >below.
14 > Um, what version of reiserfs are we talking about here?
15
16 Whatever is in gentoo-sources-2.6.12-r6. dmesg tells me that it is
17 format "3.6".
20 > I recall
21 > reading recently on lkml (or maybe it was somewhere else..) reports that
22 > reiser4 has known and serious problems on non-x86 platforms, and maybe
23 > that extends to AMD64 as well....
24
25 Yes, reiser4 is not quite stable yet.
26
27 > If you are using the stable reiser3.6 (the only option available in the
28 > gentoo-sources or vanilla-sources), well, I would be very surprised if
29 > this was a bug there, because noatime and notail are very common options
30 > and it is a very popular filesystem. I would put my money on bad ram or
31 > memory timings in this case.
32
33 I would expect other things to fail too if it was bad RAM or memory
34 timings, right? The only failure scenario is mkdir under high load which
35 to me points towards s specific problem area in the code. This is just
36 an unqualified guess, naturally...
39 jules
43 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list