From: gevisz <gevisz@×××××.com>
To: "gentoo-user@l.g.o" <gentoo-user@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Unwelcomed non-native language support
Date: Sat, 30 May 2015 19:09:17
1 2015-05-30 18:54 GMT+03:00 Peter Humphrey <peter@××××××××××××.uk>:
2 > On Saturday 30 May 2015 13:57:34 gevisz wrote:
3 >> 2015-05-30 12:32 GMT+03:00 Marc Joliet <marcec@×××.de>:
4 >> > Am Sat, 30 May 2015 11:36:28 +0300
5 >> > schrieb gevisz <gevisz@×××××.com>:
6 >> > [...]
7 >> > (Note: the word you are looking for is "cache".)
8 >>
9 >> So, it is from French.
10 >
11 > [OT]
12 > Yes, along with a vast number of other common words in English; they came
13 > along with the Normans in 1066 and afterwards. Far more than from German or
14 > Dutch, and those are far more than from Spanish or Italian.
15 > [/OT]
16 >
17 >> When I learned it in high school, this word was not in our vocabulary. :-)
18 >>
19 >> > I strongly suspect that the application doing the translating doesn't
20 >> > even use gettext.
21 >>
22 >> May be, but I cannot think of a better explanation.
23 >>
24 >> > Besides which, I'm surprised you're not getting crashes from
25 >> > applications not finding the gettext libraries, which points
26 >> > to them not actually using it.
27 >>
28 >> Nothing crashed so far and this, in my view, proves that should not
29 >> be an obligatory dependency for any package in my wold file.
30 >>
31 >> > You can use "emerge --depclean -pv gettext" to determine which do.
32 >>
33 >> $ emerge --depclean -pv gettext
34 >> --- Couldn't find 'gettext' to depclean.
35 >>
36 >> >>> No packages selected for removal by depclean
37 >>
38 >> However, running
39 >> # equery depends gettext
40 >> before forcefully unmerging the gettext package,
41 >> I got the following response:
42 >> * These packages depend on gettext:
43 >
44 > -->8
45 >
46 > I have gettext installed, and pretending to depclean it showed 77 packages
47 > depending on it. I see it's similar for you.
48 >
49 >> > So it seems to me that gettext is a false lead and that the root
50 >> > of your problem lies somewhere else.
51 >>
52 >> May be, but as I have already written it, I cannot think of a better
53 >> explanation why started in a default profile Firefox uses non-English
54 >> menu, but started in a new profile, it uses the English menu for the
55 >> same youtube video on the same web-page.
56 >
57 > Have you tried a revdep-rebuild recently? It seems to me that you
58 > need gettext put back in, and maybe other things too.
59
60 Yes, it was merged back on the today's system update.
61
62 I have already complained about it.