From: Peter Humphrey <peter@××××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Unwelcomed non-native language support
Date: Sat, 30 May 2015 15:55:02
1 On Saturday 30 May 2015 13:57:34 gevisz wrote:
2 > 2015-05-30 12:32 GMT+03:00 Marc Joliet <marcec@×××.de>:
3 > > Am Sat, 30 May 2015 11:36:28 +0300
4 > > schrieb gevisz <gevisz@×××××.com>:
5 > > [...]
6 > > (Note: the word you are looking for is "cache".)
7 >
8 > So, it is from French.
9
10 [OT]
11 Yes, along with a vast number of other common words in English; they came
12 along with the Normans in 1066 and afterwards. Far more than from German or
13 Dutch, and those are far more than from Spanish or Italian.
14 [/OT]
15
16 > When I learned it in high school, this word was not in our vocabulary. :-)
17 >
18 > > I strongly suspect that the application doing the translating doesn't
19 > > even use gettext.
20 >
21 > May be, but I cannot think of a better explanation.
22 >
23 > > Besides which, I'm surprised you're not getting crashes from
24 > > applications not finding the gettext libraries, which points
25 > > to them not actually using it.
26 >
27 > Nothing crashed so far and this, in my view, proves that should not
28 > be an obligatory dependency for any package in my wold file.
29 >
30 > > You can use "emerge --depclean -pv gettext" to determine which do.
31 >
32 > $ emerge --depclean -pv gettext
33 > --- Couldn't find 'gettext' to depclean.
34 >
35 > >>> No packages selected for removal by depclean
36 >
37 > However, running
38 > # equery depends gettext
39 > before forcefully unmerging the gettext package,
40 > I got the following response:
41 > * These packages depend on gettext:
42
43 -->8
44
45 I have gettext installed, and pretending to depclean it showed 77 packages
46 depending on it. I see it's similar for you.
47
48 > > So it seems to me that gettext is a false lead and that the root
49 > > of your problem lies somewhere else.
50 >
51 > May be, but as I have already written it, I cannot think of a better
52 > explanation why started in a default profile Firefox uses non-English
53 > menu, but started in a new profile, it uses the English menu for the
54 > same youtube video on the same web-page.
55
56 Have you tried a revdep-rebuild recently? It seems to me that you need gettext
57 put back in, and maybe other things too.
60 Rgds
61 Peter