From: Iain Buchanan <iaindb@××××××××××××.au>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: {OT} Basic device for a Gentoo router/firewall?
Date: Thu, 27 May 2010 00:58:06
1 On Wed, 2010-05-26 at 10:28 +0100, Peter Humphrey wrote:
2
3 > All very well if you happen to have such a device lying around. I don't,
4 > however, and Google doesn't show me a source of them either, so I'll
5 > just wait for something more suitable to come along. Cheaper, too, with
6 > any luck, such as the devices Neil mentioned on Monday.
7 >
8 > Thanks anyway.
9
10 no probs, they aren't cheap, but if you need the extra features, they're
11 well worth it.
12
13 Instead (as Neal or someone suggested) I'd go for a mini-itx atom board
14 - easy to compile for, low noise, and many are fanless. Many come with
15 gigabit (good for the router), multiple usb, sata, and so on. Some have
16 sockets, some have the cpu built in.
17
18 The Atom D510 is even dual core!
19
20 have fun putting it together!
24 Man is a rational animal who always loses his temper when he is called upon
25 to act in accordance with the dictates of reason.
26 -- Oscar Wilde