From: Walter Dnes <waltdnes@××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Is it possible to protect *INDIVIDUAL FILES* against etc-update?
Date: Mon, 16 Oct 2006 22:05:41
1 On Sun, Oct 15, 2006 at 09:06:40AM +0200, Bo ?rsted Andresen wrote
2
3 > I suspect you don't really understand what CONFIG_PROTECT{,_MASK} is. Please
4 > read the output of `emerge --help --config`. All the files you've mentioned
5 > are covered by CONFIG_PROTECT in a default configuration so if they aren't it
6 > means you've screwed up your CONFIG_PROTECT and/or CONFIG_PROTECT_MASK
7 > variables. Otherwise it is you who overwrote those files with
8 > etc-update/dispatch-conf or whatever you use for that.
9
10 Maybe I didn't make myself clear enough. It works as designed. I did
11 not overwrite the files, but I'm getting annoyed at having to tell
12 etc-update "NO" every few weeks when I run etc-update. There are
13 anywhere from 10 to 40 files to plow through. And I have a 7-year-old
14 PIII Dell as my emergency backup machine, so I repeat the process all
15 over again.
16
17 What worries me is that one of these days I'll hit the wrong key (Y
18 instead of N) and zap a config file. Yes, I do have backups, but how
19 long will it take me to realize what's happened? What I'm asking for is
20 a way to pre-emptively tell etc-update not to bother me about certain
21 files. Zap the new version and keep the old.
24 Walter Dnes <waltdnes@××××××××.org> In linux /sbin/init is Job #1
25 My musings on technology and security at http://techsec.blog.ca
26 --
27 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list