From: Sid S <r030t1@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] NSA SELinux kernel support
Date: Tue, 06 Jan 2015 21:51:11
1 > ...until it doesn't, and then what?
2
3 The comment was slightly off-topic and mainly pointed towards his
4 decision to disable SELinux on a distribution which had enabled it by
5 default. On Gentoo, if you enable SELinux, see all of the AVCs and
6 decide to nope right out of there, you are making an informed decision
7 (by virtue of needing to learn a great deal about SELinux to set it up
8 in the first place).
9
10 > I could have half-assed it with audit2allow, but security-wise that's a
11 > cop-out.
12
13 I'm not sure it's a complete cop-out as long as you read the
14 suggestions audit2allow is making. The policy you end up with will not
15 be ideal and will certainly be full of holes, but at least you are
16 somewhat aware of the risk a given service is to your system.
17
18 > I'd like to find a middle ground, and it might be Targeted mode (I was
19 > attempting Strict). Or, it might be a different system like AppArmor.
20
21 Yeah, my ending suggestion was to run in targeted mode (if you wanted
22 to bother with SELinux at all) but that mainly serves as a workaround
23 for Desktop-oriented stuff. Containers or virtualization are also
24 options.