From: Erik Mackdanz <erikmack@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] NSA SELinux kernel support
Date: Sun, 04 Jan 2015 19:04:33
1 Sid S <r030t1@×××××.com> writes:
2
3 > your distribution probably comes
4 > with policies for everything you want to install, anyway...
5
6 ...until it doesn't, and then what?
7
8 I attempted a full conversion a few months back, and was ready to make
9 some commitment to getting SELinux to work on my personal laptop. I got
10 as far as Permissive mode, with a firehose of access violations in the
11 auditd log. I had written a couple of scrappy policies to authorize a
12 few small one-off violations, with the help of audit2allow, but the
13 firehose was still gushing.
14
15 I use offlineimap for fetching mail, which doesn't have a policy. Now,
16 if I ever wanted to switch from Permissive to Enforcing, I was required,
17 as an absolute SELinux n00b, to write a full policy for a non-trivial
18 mail application. This is when I turned around.
19
20 I could have half-assed it with audit2allow, but security-wise that's a
21 cop-out.
22
23 Inevitably, there will always be some program I want to use with no
24 existing policy, and I'll constantly have this problem.
25
26 I realized that my personal workstation is a place I like to try lots of
27 software (don't we all like that about Linux?), and SELinux can be a big
28 wet blanket on the fun at any time.
29
30 I'd like to find a middle ground, and it might be Targeted mode (I was
31 attempting Strict). Or, it might be a different system like AppArmor.
32 --
33 Erik Mackdanz