From: Sid S <r030t1@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] NSA SELinux kernel support
Date: Sun, 04 Jan 2015 14:47:18
1 > I was wondering if there was any harm in disabling the NSA SELinux support
2 > in my gentoo-sources based kernel.
3
4 There is no harm, but if you were interested a lot of packages come
5 with policies by default. Currently there is no support for SELinux in
6 Gentoo for the vast majority of desktop applications. It is a little
7 bit of work to get anything nonfunctional working. There are
8 additional modes where you can simply run your user as unconfined and
9 any services will be restricted by SELinux. grsecurity's RBAC is an
10 alternative where you simply let it generate a policy based on what it
11 sees you use.
12
13 Notably, Fedora and CentOS enable SELinux by default.
14
15 > SELinux is the only one I've had a bit of experience with - I run CentOS
16 > (SELinux is enabled by default) for some personal-use-only services that
17 > I want to run without dealing with Gentoo. My first step in a CentOS
18 > install is to disable SELinux (and the firewall, hehe) to avoid dealing
19 > with the pain of wading through documentation for hours on end.
20
21 http://stopdisablingselinux.com/ - your distribution probably comes
22 with policies for everything you want to install, anyway...