From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Forcing X.org video driver without xorg.config
Date: Tue, 06 Apr 2010 01:05:36
1 Black Napalm wrote:
4 > On Mon, Apr 5, 2010 at 5:02 PM, Mike Edenfield <kutulu@××××××.org
5 > <mailto:kutulu@××××××.org>> wrote:
6 > > On 4/5/2010 7:37 AM, Black Napalm wrote:
7 > >> Hello!
8 > >>
9 > >> I am trying to set up X.org and the Gentoo X Server configuration
10 > >> HOWTO says that HAL should be used and that xorg.conf should only be
11 > >> used as a last resort. However, when running X without a configuration
12 > >> file, it autodetects the video card and tries to load the wrong
13 > >> drivers, which I haven't installed, and therefore fails.
14 > >> Is there a way to force X to use a specific driver without using a
15 > >> configuration file? I am not really familiar with HAL, but it seems as
16 > >> though none of the provided policies have anything to do with video
17 > >> cards.
18 > >
19 > > 1. Dale, preemptive shush.
20 > >
21 > > 2. HAL is going away, so I'd suggest you just ignore everything the
22 > > HOWTO says about it and use the previous method of defining everything
23 > > in xorg.conf.
24 > >
25 > > 3. If you want to keep HAL: the HOWTO isn't really referring to your
26 > > video hardware when it says not to use a configuration file. It's
27 > > mostly talking about your input devices and other hardware. If X isn't
28 > > auto-detecting your hardware properly, adding configuration sections to
29 > > xorg.conf is still correct.
33 > Thanks for the advice! I will then gladly define it in xorg.conf,
34 > maybe even remove HAL.
35
36 I'll never shush. lol
37
38 By all means try it with a xorg.conf first with hal enabled. You can
39 use X -configure to generate a xorg.conf file. Make sure it puts it
40 where it is needed. It has been while since i had to do this but
41 sometimes it puts it in /root for testing and you have to move it to
42 /etc/X11/ yourself. Just plain ole copy works fine. Nothing special
43 about the copy process.
44
45 If it still doesn't work, just add xorg.conf -hal to your package.use
46 file/directory and re-emerge xorg. If you use KDE, you may have to
47 leave the hal USE flag turned on for everything else. If you don't use
48 KDE, you may can disable it system wide. I only use KDE here so I'm not
49 sure if other destops use hal or not. Now if you are brave and know
50 that xml stuff, you can always jump in with both feet and try to figure
51 out the hal config files. Good luck on that. LOL
52
53 Dale
54