From: Black Napalm <bnapalm@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Forcing X.org video driver without xorg.config
Date: Mon, 05 Apr 2010 15:56:29
1 On Mon, Apr 5, 2010 at 5:02 PM, Mike Edenfield <kutulu@××××××.org> wrote:
2 > On 4/5/2010 7:37 AM, Black Napalm wrote:
3 >> Hello!
4 >>
5 >> I am trying to set up X.org and the Gentoo X Server configuration
6 >> HOWTO says that HAL should be used and that xorg.conf should only be
7 >> used as a last resort. However, when running X without a configuration
8 >> file, it autodetects the video card and tries to load the wrong
9 >> drivers, which I haven't installed, and therefore fails.
10 >> Is there a way to force X to use a specific driver without using a
11 >> configuration file? I am not really familiar with HAL, but it seems as
12 >> though none of the provided policies have anything to do with video
13 >> cards.
14 >
15 > 1. Dale, preemptive shush.
16 >
17 > 2. HAL is going away, so I'd suggest you just ignore everything the
18 > HOWTO says about it and use the previous method of defining everything
19 > in xorg.conf.
20 >
21 > 3. If you want to keep HAL: the HOWTO isn't really referring to your
22 > video hardware when it says not to use a configuration file. It's
23 > mostly talking about your input devices and other hardware. If X isn't
24 > auto-detecting your hardware properly, adding configuration sections to
25 > xorg.conf is still correct.
29 Thanks for the advice! I will then gladly define it in xorg.conf, maybe even
30 remove HAL.