From: Mark Knecht <markknecht@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] "emerge --depclean" wants to unmerge app-editors/nano (part of system)
Date: Mon, 04 Jul 2011 17:07:00
1 On Mon, Jul 4, 2011 at 9:29 AM, Jarry <mr.jarry@×××××.com> wrote:
2 > Hi,
3 > I have this strange problem for a few days: after normal
4 > updates (I think glib has been updated) I tried to run
5 > "emerge --depclean" (as recommended) but got these messages:
6 >
7 > -------------------------------
8 > obelix ~ # emerge --depclean
9 > <cut>
10 > Calculating dependencies... done!
11 >>>> Calculating removal order...
12 >
13 > !!! 'app-editors/nano' (virtual/editor) is part of your system profile.
14 > !!! Unmerging it may be damaging to your system.
15 >
16 >>>> Waiting 10 seconds before starting...
17 >>>> (Control-C to abort)...
18 > Press Ctrl-C to Stop in:  10 9 8 7
19 >
20 > Exiting on signal 2
21 > obelix ~ #
22 > -------------------------------
23 >
24 > So why does "emerge --depclean" want to unmerge app-editors/nano
25 > when it is part of system profile? I waited for a few days,
26 > resynced portage tree a few times, but problem still persists...
27 >
28 > Jarry
31 Hi Jarry,
32 This was discussed awhile back. Check the archives for the complete
33 thread. It was maybe a month ago.
34
35 You won't cause any problems by removing nano although you won't be
36 able to edit if that's the only editor on your system. I've done
37 emerge -C nano for awhile. seen the same message when removing it, and
38 then after that no problems.
39
40 HTH,
41 Mark