From: Roy Wright <royw@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Xgl, KDE, gnome
Date: Mon, 03 Apr 2006 17:58:52
1 Lord Sauron wrote:
2
3 >On 3/30/06, Roy Wright <royw@×××××.com> wrote:
6 >>The wiki instructions for installing Xgl worked too.
10 >I'm extremely interested in Xgl. I didn't know it was hanging around
11 >Gentoo. Can you send me the link?
15 >>Then I discovered what gnome-window-decorator does in KDE. Not pretty. :-(
16 >>I figured I could live:
17 >>* with old fashioned decorations,
18 >>* without my background image,
19 >>* with my panel stretching across both monitors,
20 >>* with windows opening centered on the desktop vs on a display,
21 >>* with some brain dead right mouse desktop popup menu.
25 >Can you try and get me some more detailed info? I'm a information
26 >gatherer for the Xgl project. I'm supposed to be ensuring that it has
27 >perfect integration with KDE.
31 >>But I couldn't live with a dead X the next morning. So bye-bye Xgl.
35 >Even more interesting... Could you get some more info for me there
36 >too? Perhaps a few clips from the log file?
40 >>Now what I'd really like is to be able to switch between X+KDE and Xgl+gnome
41 >>sessions. I don't really see how to do this with one display manager.
42 >>Not sure how to configure to run multiple display managers. Currently
43 >>I use xdm to run kdm.
44 >>
45 >>Any suggestions would be appreciated.
46 >>
47 Sorry for taking so long to respond, I took a spur of the moment vacation.
48
49 The instructions for XGL are at:
50
51 http://gentoo-wiki.com/HOWTO_XGL
52
53 I'll run another test this evening of Xgl+KDE to capture details.
54
55 Thank you,
56 Roy
57 --