From: Thierry de Coulon <tcoulon@××××××××.ch>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Waaaaaay [OT] Windoze back-up. Sorry to ask. :-(
Date: Tue, 02 May 2006 21:52:39
1 On Tuesday 02 May 2006 23.18, Teresa and Dale wrote:
2 > Hi,
3 >
4 > OK, here's my deal. My girlfriend wants to use windoze, yes it has
5 > already died from a bug and it took a while to get it all back to
6 > working, again. This is what I want to do to make it easy when this
7 > happens again, this is windoze so it will happen, likely sooner rather
8 > than later too.
9 >
10 > I want to be able to back her drive up to a CD, the whole thing even if
11 > it takes a few CDs. When it dies again, I want to be able to put in the
12 > first CD and it boot and reinstall everything from there with little
13 > interaction from me.
14 >
15 > Is there such a creature? Please tell me it is free. I'm used to Linux
16 > remember.
17 >
18 > I can't believe I let her spend almost $200.00 on that crappie OS. <
19 > hangs head in shame > She a great person in all other respects though.
20 > I just have to keep working on this area.
21 >
22 > Thanks
23 >
24 > Dale
25
26 I've done that on Laptops (you know, those thingies that come with crap
27 pre-installed) in order to put that back if I sell them later...
28
29 I know if two ways that (might) work:
30
31 a) dd - you might have to shrink the partition first or try 7zip to make it
32 smaller later. You'll also need a pertition to store the file. I would do it
33 from some live distro (Mepis or Knoppix or so).
34 You can then put it back the other way round, but you may have to reinstall
35 Windows first to gat a working mbr.
36
37 b) Paragon Partition Manager. It is _not_ free unfortunately but it's good
38 value for money. Get the CD iso image (the fools distribute it as an *.exe
39 file!), burn it and boot. Amongst other things it will let you resize the
40 partition (if required) and backup/archive it, if you want directly on CD or
41 DVD. Note the software runs on a linux boot cd.
42
43 As I said, it's not free ($50) - but you can get a free demo here:
44 http://www.partition-manager.com/
45 and test it. Might save your ass some day.
49 Stupidity is like a fractal; universal and infinitely repetitive.
50 --
51 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list