From: Teresa and Dale <teendale@×××××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Waaaaaay [OT] Windoze back-up. Sorry to ask. :-(
Date: Tue, 02 May 2006 22:12:40
1 Thierry de Coulon wrote:
4 >I've done that on Laptops (you know, those thingies that come with crap
5 >pre-installed) in order to put that back if I sell them later...
9 I got you there. ;-)
10
11 >I know if two ways that (might) work:
12 >
13 >a) dd - you might have to shrink the partition first or try 7zip to make it
14 >smaller later. You'll also need a pertition to store the file. I would do it
15 >from some live distro (Mepis or Knoppix or so).
16 >You can then put it back the other way round, but you may have to reinstall
17 >Windows first to gat a working mbr.
18 >
19 >b) Paragon Partition Manager. It is _not_ free unfortunately but it's good
20 >value for money. Get the CD iso image (the fools distribute it as an *.exe
21 >file!), burn it and boot. Amongst other things it will let you resize the
22 >partition (if required) and backup/archive it, if you want directly on CD or
23 >DVD. Note the software runs on a linux boot cd.
24 >
25 >As I said, it's not free ($50) - but you can get a free demo here:
26 >http://www.partition-manager.com/
27 >and test it. Might save your ass some day.
33 That dd thing always scared me for some reason. Plan b sounds neat. I
34 need to add that to the "to check" list.
35
36 Thanks
37
38 Dale