From: Mick <michaelkintzios@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Networkmanager VPNC key timeout
Date: Tue, 03 Mar 2015 22:56:30
1 On Tuesday 03 Mar 2015 19:52:14 Petric Frank wrote:
2 > Hello Mick,
3 >
4 > Am Dienstag, 3. März 2015, 00:00:17 schrieb Mick:
5 > > > The homepage on vpnc in chapter TODO tells:
6 > > > "phase2-rekeying is now supported as of svn revision 126!"
7 > > >
8 > > > Changelog states for 0.5.2:
9 > > > "Fix Phase 2 rekeying, by various authors"
10 > > >
11 > > > I don't know whether this is along your statement above.
12 > > >
13 > > > So it seems not to be completely fixed. The homepage is not updated the
14 > > > last 7 years.
15 > >
16 > > OK, then yes, it has been fixed and your problem is not related to that
17 > > old bug, but could it be a more recent regression?
18 >
19 > maybe.
20 >
21 > > > > BTW, have you tried more actively developed VPN software like
22 > > > > strongswan (it has a networkmanager plugin) or even ipsec-tools
23 > > > > instead of vpnc, to see if you're getting the same problem? I think
24 > > > > that they should work with Cisco VPN gateways, although it may be
25 > > > > fiddly to set them up.
26 > > >
27 > > > i can find only ebuilds of (networkmanager-)openswan in the official
28 > > > tree.
29 > >
30 > > No, this only good for the SSL VPN solution of Cisco.
31 >
32 > good to know.
33
34 I beg your pardon, I typed too fast. I was referring to net-misc/openconnect,
35 which is an alternative client for Cisco AnyConnect SSL VPN. The net-
36 misc/openswan package is hard masked because of the security bug #499870. You
37 could try net-misc/libreswan instead, a fork of openswan. It may just work
38 with the net-misc/networkmanager-openswan plugin.
41 > > > strongswan is in the stable tree but not the networkmanager plugin.
42 > >
43 > > Are you sure? This is what I see here for strongswan-5.2.2
44 > >
45 > > [+caps +constraints curl debug dhcp eap farp gcrypt +gmp ldap mysql
46 > > networkmanager
47 > > ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
48 > > +non-root +openssl pam pkcs11 sqlite strongswan_plugins_blowfish
49 > > strongswan_plugins_ccm strongswan_plugins_ctr strongswan_plugins_gcm
50 > > strongswan_plugins_ha strongswan_plugins_ipseckey +strongswan_plugins_led
51 > > +strongswan_plugins_lookip strongswan_plugins_ntru
52 > > strongswan_plugins_padlock strongswan_plugins_rdrand
53 > > +strongswan_plugins_systime-fix
54 > > strongswan_plugins_unbound +strongswan_plugins_unity
55 > > +strongswan_plugins_vici strongswan_plugins_whitelist]
56 >
57 > True, strongswan is in tree, but not networkmanager-strongswan
58 > (NetworkManager plugin).
59
60 My understanding is that as long as you enable the networkmanager plugin in
61 the strongswan package, it will interoperate with the networkmanager front end
62 - but I have not tried it. Reading now the relevant webpage it says that it
63 is *only* available for IKEv2 - so probably not good for your use case.
64
65 https://wiki.strongswan.org/projects/strongswan/wiki/NetworkManager
68 > > The latest version 5.2.2 has a bug with some IKEv1 implementations.
69 > > There is a patch proposed which works and will be included in the next
70 > > version 5.2.3 when released. If your VPN server is affected then you'll
71 > > have to apply the patch yourself in a local overlay:
72 > >
73 > > https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/vpnc/+bug/479632
74 >
75 > Stable strongswan is already compiled and installed on my system. Any of
76 > the "strongswan_plugins_*" use flags i have to enable here ?
77
78 Since its networkmanager plugin is only useful for IKEv2 I don't think it
79 would make any odds. You can enable it anyway and initially try it from the
80 command line (/etc/init.d/ipsec start) to see if it works with the Cisco VPN
81 gateway. If it does, then try it with the networkmanager front end, but I
82 don't expect this to work. If a GUI is a must for you, libreswan with the
83 net-misc/networkmanager-openswan plugin may be a better bet.
86 Regards,
87 Mick