From: "Bruce Hill
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: virtual/shadow
Date: Mon, 12 Mar 2012 19:32:25
1 On March 12, 2012 at 3:19 PM Nikos Chantziaras <realnc@×××××.com> wrote:
2
3 > On 12/03/12 20:05, Bruce Hill, Jr. wrote:
4 > > These virtual apps are irritating me, and the fanboi answers in
5 #gentoo
6 > > are worse.
7 > >
8 > > What is the purpose of virtual/shadow and why would I want it?
9 >
10 > Paul's answers covers it, but I'll give an explanation that is the
11 > reverse of a fanboi answer.
12 >
13 > The reason we need virtuals is because of a shortcoming in portage: lack
14 > of "provides" functionality. RPM packages can tell the package manager
15 > what they provide. For example, RPMs for libav and ffmpeg can both use
16 > "ffmpeg" as their "provides" field. Portage can't do that, so it needs
17 > a new "virtual/ffmpeg" package instead.
22 My only experience building software was making scripts to work on my own
23 computer(s), which didn't require checking deps for everybody and his
24 brother's possible setups; so frequently portage offends me with it's dep
25 checking and installing.
26
27 Thanks for the patience, guys. My mind has not morphed to The Gentoo Way
28 (R) yet and frequently bucks up against this type of pkg mgr.
29 --
30 Happy Penguin Computers >`)
31 126 Fenco Drive ( \
32 Tupelo, MS 38801 ^^
33 662-269-2706; 662-491-8613
34 support at happypenguincomputers dot com
35 http://www.happypenguincomputers.com