From: Volker Armin Hemmann <volkerarmin@××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] NVidia, KDE4, and Desktop Effects
Date: Wed, 22 Apr 2009 19:33:17
1 On Mittwoch 22 April 2009, James Ausmus wrote:
2 > Hello All-
3 >
4 > I'm having a devil of a time getting this combination to work. Several
5 > different computer systems, with KDE's from 4.2.0-4.2.2, with several
6 > different NVidia cards. Using the latest NVidia drivers (180.51),
7 > everything appears to be set up correctly in my xorg.conf, no errors
8 > or warnings from the nvidia drivers in the Xorg.0.log, glxgears and
9 > glxinfo work properly and output the expected information, but when I
10 > try to enable Desktop Effects, all I get is the dreaded "Failed to
11 > activate desktop effects using the given configuration options..."
12 > dialog. I've tried all the different combos of settings under the
13 > Advanced tab, but no love.
14 >
15 > Attached are my xorg.conf, my Xorg.0.log, and my glxinfo output.
16 >
17 > Anyone have any clues????
20 > Thanks!
21 >
22 > -James
23
24 shorten your conf to this and retry:
25 Section "ServerLayout"
26 Identifier "Simple Layout"
27 Screen "Screen 1" 0 0
28 InputDevice "Mouse1" "CorePointer"
29 InputDevice "Keyboard1" "CoreKeyboard"
30 EndSection
31
32 Section "Files"
33 EndSection
34
35 Section "Module"
36
37 Load "dbe" # Double buffer extension
38 Load "extmod"
39 Load "glx"
40 EndSection
41
42 Section "InputDevice"
43
44 Identifier "Keyboard1"
45 Driver "kbd"
46 Option "AutoRepeat" "250 30"
47 Option "XkbRules" "xorg"
48 Option "XkbModel" "pc104"
49 Option "XkbLayout" "us"
50 EndSection
51
52 Section "InputDevice"
53
54 Identifier "Mouse1"
55 Driver "mouse"
56 Option "Protocol" "Auto" # Auto detect
57 Option "Device" "/dev/input/mice"
58 Option "ZAxisMapping" "4 5 6 7"
59 EndSection
60