From: James Ausmus <james.ausmus@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] :-@ Reversing xorg-server, hal and evdev.
Date: Fri, 10 Jul 2009 18:43:09
1 On Fri, Jul 10, 2009 at 11:31 AM, Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com> wrote:
2
3 > James Ausmus wrote:
8 > > Hi Dale - can you post your /var/log/Xorg.0.log and /etc/X11/xorg.conf
9 > > files?
10 > >
11 > > Thanks!
12 > >
13 > > -James
14 >
15 > Posted in another reply. Should be in the same thread. Sorry, I should
16 > have posted those before.
19 :) It's hard to remember all the details when your roof is on fire... <grin>
20
21 From that Xorg log, it does look like the NVidia binary driver is being
22 loaded/used - what indicators are you seeing that tell you that the nv
23 driver is being used? If it's just a missing NVidia splash screen, maybe the
24 updated NVidia driver has it off by default?
25
26 For the mouse - things do look fairly normal from the log - however, try the
27 following (if you don't ahve the xinput command, it is provided by
28 x11-apps/xinput):
29
30 xinput list
31
32 This should show you a list of your X input devices - you should see your
33 mouse there. Mine reads:
34
35 "Virtual core pointer" id=0 [XPointer]
36 Num_buttons is 32
37 Num_axes is 2
38 Mode is Relative
39 Motion_buffer is 256
40 Axis 0 :
41 Min_value is -1
42 Max_value is -1
43 Resolution is 0
44 Axis 1 :
45 Min_value is -1
46 Max_value is -1
47 Resolution is 0
48 "Virtual core keyboard" id=1 [XKeyboard]
49 Num_keys is 248
50 Min_keycode is 8
51 Max_keycode is 255
52 "No brand 4 Port KVMSwicther" id=2 [XExtensionKeyboard]
53 Type is KEYBOARD
54 Num_keys is 248
55 Min_keycode is 8
56 Max_keycode is 255
57 "Logitech USB Optical Mouse" id=3 [XExtensionPointer]
58 Type is MOUSE
59 Num_buttons is 32
60 Num_axes is 2
61 Mode is Relative
62 Motion_buffer is 256
63 Axis 0 :
64 Min_value is -1
65 Max_value is -1
66 Resolution is 1
67 Axis 1 :
68 Min_value is -1
69 Max_value is -1
70 Resolution is 1
71 "CHICONY HP Basic USB Keyboard" id=4 [XExtensionKeyboard]
72 Type is KEYBOARD
73 Num_keys is 248
74 Min_keycode is 8
75 Max_keycode is 255
78 Then, take the name of the mouse from the list - in my case "Logitech USB
79 Optical Mouse", and run:
80
81 xinput test <mouse-name>
82
83 for myself it was xinput test "Logitech USB Optical Mouse" - with the
84 quotes.
85
86 The move the mouse a little, and run the scroll wheel a little - you should
87 see something along the lines of:
88
89 motion a[0]=2
90 a[1]=-4
91
92 motion a[0]=7
93 a[1]=-5
94
95 motion a[0]=2
96 a[1]=-11
97
98 motion a[0]=-4
99 a[1]=-11
100
101 motion a[0]=-9
102 a[1]=-10
103
104 motion a[0]=-7
105 a[1]=-13
106
107 motion a[0]=-6
108 a[1]=-13
109
110 motion a[0]=-6
111 a[1]=-11
112
113 motion a[0]=-5
114 a[1]=-8
115
116 motion a[0]=-4
117 a[1]=-9
118
119 motion
120 a[1]=-6
121
122 motion a[0]=-1
123 a[1]=-2
124
125 motion a[0]=-1
126 a[1]=-1
127
128 motion a[0]=-1
129 a[1]=-1
130
131 motion
132 a[0]=-1
133
134 motion a[0]=-2
135 a[1]=-1
136
137 motion
138 a[0]=-4
139
140 motion
141 a[0]=-5
142
143 motion a[0]=-7
144 a[1]=-1
145
146 motion
147 a[0]=-9
148
149 motion
150 a[0]=-9
151
152 motion
153 a[0]=-14
154
155 motion
156 a[0]=-14
157
158 motion
159 a[0]=-13
160
161 motion a[0]=-11
162 a[1]=-2
163
164 motion
165 a[0]=-11
166
167 motion
168 a[0]=-4
169
170 motion
171 a[0]=-2
172
173 motion
174 a[0]=-1
175
176 motion
177 a[0]=-1
178
179 motion
180 a[0]=-1
181
182 button press 5
183 button release 5
184 button press 4
185 button release 4
186 button press 5
187 button release 5
188 button press 5
189 button release 5
192 IMPORTANT: Make a note of which scroll direction you do first, then second.
193 In my case, I scrolled down first (button 5 press/release), then up (button
194 4 press/release) - if you get different button numbers for down/up
195 scrolling, then we just need to adjust your ZAxisMapping setting in
196 xorg.conf appropriately - use whatever button number you see when you scroll
197 up as the first number in the setting, and then the down scroll button
198 number as the second number.
199
200 If things are still not working, post the output of all the above commands,
201 and we'll take it from there.
202
203 Hope that helps!
204