From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] :-@ Reversing xorg-server, hal and evdev.
Date: Fri, 10 Jul 2009 20:45:52
1 James Ausmus wrote:
4 > On Fri, Jul 10, 2009 at 11:31 AM, Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com
5 > <mailto:rdalek1967@×××××.com>> wrote:
6 >
7 > James Ausmus wrote:
12 > > Hi Dale - can you post your /var/log/Xorg.0.log and
13 > /etc/X11/xorg.conf
14 > > files?
15 > >
16 > > Thanks!
17 > >
18 > > -James
19 >
20 > Posted in another reply. Should be in the same thread. Sorry, I
21 > should
22 > have posted those before.
25 > :) It's hard to remember all the details when your roof is on fire...
26 > <grin>
27 >
28 > From that Xorg log, it does look like the NVidia binary driver is
29 > being loaded/used - what indicators are you seeing that tell you that
30 > the nv driver is being used? If it's just a missing NVidia splash
31 > screen, maybe the updated NVidia driver has it off by default?
32 >
33 > For the mouse - things do look fairly normal from the log - however,
34 > try the following (if you don't ahve the xinput command, it is
35 > provided by x11-apps/xinput):
36 >
37 > xinput list
38 >
39 > This should show you a list of your X input devices - you should see
40 > your mouse there. Mine reads:
41 >
42 > "Virtual core pointer" id=0 [XPointer]
43 > Num_buttons is 32
44 > Num_axes is 2
45 > Mode is Relative
46 > Motion_buffer is 256
47 > Axis 0 :
48 > Min_value is -1
49 > Max_value is -1
50 > Resolution is 0
51 > Axis 1 :
52 > Min_value is -1
53 > Max_value is -1
54 > Resolution is 0
55 > "Virtual core keyboard" id=1 [XKeyboard]
56 > Num_keys is 248
57 > Min_keycode is 8
58 > Max_keycode is 255
59 > "No brand 4 Port KVMSwicther" id=2 [XExtensionKeyboard]
60 > Type is KEYBOARD
61 > Num_keys is 248
62 > Min_keycode is 8
63 > Max_keycode is 255
64 > "Logitech USB Optical Mouse" id=3 [XExtensionPointer]
65 > Type is MOUSE
66 > Num_buttons is 32
67 > Num_axes is 2
68 > Mode is Relative
69 > Motion_buffer is 256
70 > Axis 0 :
71 > Min_value is -1
72 > Max_value is -1
73 > Resolution is 1
74 > Axis 1 :
75 > Min_value is -1
76 > Max_value is -1
77 > Resolution is 1
78 > "CHICONY HP Basic USB Keyboard" id=4 [XExtensionKeyboard]
79 > Type is KEYBOARD
80 > Num_keys is 248
81 > Min_keycode is 8
82 > Max_keycode is 255
85 > Then, take the name of the mouse from the list - in my case "Logitech
86 > USB Optical Mouse", and run:
87 >
88 > xinput test <mouse-name>
89 >
90 > for myself it was xinput test "Logitech USB Optical Mouse" - with the
91 > quotes.
92 >
93 > The move the mouse a little, and run the scroll wheel a little - you
94 > should see something along the lines of:
95 >
96 > motion a[0]=2
97 > a[1]=-4
98 >
99 > motion a[0]=7
100 > a[1]=-5
101 >
102 > motion a[0]=2
103 > a[1]=-11
104 >
105 > motion a[0]=-4
106 > a[1]=-11
107 >
108 > motion a[0]=-9
109 > a[1]=-10
110 >
111 > motion a[0]=-7
112 > a[1]=-13
113 >
114 > motion a[0]=-6
115 > a[1]=-13
116 >
117 > motion a[0]=-6
118 > a[1]=-11
119 >
120 > motion a[0]=-5
121 > a[1]=-8
122 >
123 > motion a[0]=-4
124 > a[1]=-9
125 >
126 > motion
127 > a[1]=-6
128 >
129 > motion a[0]=-1
130 > a[1]=-2
131 >
132 > motion a[0]=-1
133 > a[1]=-1
134 >
135 > motion a[0]=-1
136 > a[1]=-1
137 >
138 > motion
139 > a[0]=-1
140 >
141 > motion a[0]=-2
142 > a[1]=-1
143 >
144 > motion
145 > a[0]=-4
146 >
147 > motion
148 > a[0]=-5
149 >
150 > motion a[0]=-7
151 > a[1]=-1
152 >
153 > motion
154 > a[0]=-9
155 >
156 > motion
157 > a[0]=-9
158 >
159 > motion
160 > a[0]=-14
161 >
162 > motion
163 > a[0]=-14
164 >
165 > motion
166 > a[0]=-13
167 >
168 > motion a[0]=-11
169 > a[1]=-2
170 >
171 > motion
172 > a[0]=-11
173 >
174 > motion
175 > a[0]=-4
176 >
177 > motion
178 > a[0]=-2
179 >
180 > motion
181 > a[0]=-1
182 >
183 > motion
184 > a[0]=-1
185 >
186 > motion
187 > a[0]=-1
188 >
189 > button press 5
190 > button release 5
191 > button press 4
192 > button release 4
193 > button press 5
194 > button release 5
195 > button press 5
196 > button release 5
199 > IMPORTANT: Make a note of which scroll direction you do first, then
200 > second. In my case, I scrolled down first (button 5 press/release),
201 > then up (button 4 press/release) - if you get different button numbers
202 > for down/up scrolling, then we just need to adjust your ZAxisMapping
203 > setting in xorg.conf appropriately - use whatever button number you
204 > see when you scroll up as the first number in the setting, and then
205 > the down scroll button number as the second number.
206 >
207 > If things are still not working, post the output of all the above
208 > commands, and we'll take it from there.
209 >
210 > Hope that helps!
211 >
212 > -James
216 > Thanks.
217 >
218 > Dale
219 >
220 > :-) :-)
224 It does appear to be loading nvidia but I don't see the splash screen.
225 I also notice that it takes longer to log out for some reason. It logs
226 in like always, about 10 seconds or so, but when I log out, it takes 45
227 seconds or so. Maybe the splash screen is off by default. I dunno.
228
229 I'm assuming you are using evdev and hal. I'm back to the old way.
230 It's just easier for me to keep working, if I can get my wheel to work
231 again. I have another install that I may play with some but it's not
232 going to be on my main OS again. I'm waiting on something else.
233 Someone mentioned devicekit is a 'up n comer'. Sounds good to me.
234
235 Saves this for the other install.
236
237 Dale