From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Stable users: libpng-1.4
Date: Thu, 01 Jul 2010 09:06:19
1 Alan McKinnon wrote:
2 > On Thursday 01 July 2010 00:15:34 Mick wrote:
3 >
4 >>> I remember now what I eventually did to fix all my libpng problems back
5 >>>
6 >>> then:
7 >>>
8 >>>
9 >>> unmerge libpng
10 >>> delete everything left with libpng in it's name
11 >>> emerge -pvuND world just to see what was now busted
12 >>> same with revdep-rebuild
13 >>> re-emerge libpng and let portage pick the version to merge
14 >>> emerge -avuND world
15 >>> revdep-rebuild
16 >>>
17 >>> repeat till no problems reported
18 >>>
19 >>>
20 >>> and lafilefixer --justfixit somewhere in the mix as well just for good
21 >>> measure.
22 >>>
23 >>>
24 >>>
25 >>> This is called the "throw shit at the wall and hope some of it sticks"
26 >>> method of updating systems. By happy good fortune, it worked out for me.
27 >>>
28 >>>
29 >>>
30 >>> aka the dark underside of source-based systems :-)
31 >>>
32 >> I'm sure that I followed your scientific approach too because my system
33 >> still works ... although I may have lost the will to live somewhere in
34 >> between the lafilefixer and revdep-rebuild for the nth time and decided to
35 >> emerge -e world. :-))
36 >>
37 >> Strangely enough two other x86 boxen were updated without any much drama.
38 >>
39 > :-)
40 >
41 > On the front page of gentoo.org several blogs are reference that mention this
42 > issue. In one of them, the author shows evidence that the same binary was
43 > trying to link at one point to a 32 bit lib and at another point link to a 64
44 > bit lib..... All random of course, causing no end of mysterious failures, and
45 > explains why some people had success re-merging cairo, other with something
46 > else ....
47 >
48 > Truly bizarre. But it might go a ways to explaining why your 32 bit systems
49 > were unaffected?
53 I followed flameeyes blog and everything worked fine. I umerged libpng,
54 tried to do a rm but there was nothing left to rm, then ran
55 revdep-rebuild -i. It was ~45 packages, most of them big I might add,
56 but it ran all the way through without stopping.
57
58 Naturally there is no way to know what would have happened if I did it
59 some other way but flameeyes' way worked for me.
60
61 Now to go catch up on all the emails I got. X would not start during
62 the upgrade.
63
64 Dale
65