From: Grant Edwards <grant.b.edwards@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: [OT] Six non-Gentoo installs
Date: Wed, 15 Oct 2014 02:40:29
1 On 2014-10-15, Alec Ten Harmsel <alec@××××××××××××××.com> wrote:
2
3 > The main problem (imnho) is that you think CentOS cares about
4 > configurability/multiple ways of doing things.
5
6 Oh, I don't think that -- it's pretty obvious that in the RedHat
7 world, choice is not an option. It's one prix fixe menu, and you can
8 either eat what's set in front of you or go hungry.
9
10 > They do not. They have their packages and their way of doing things,
11 > following TUV so that the distro is easily supportable. When
12 > installing, you just have to keep clicking next like a robot.
13
14 >> I'm more convinced than ever that Gentoo is the way to go for my
15 >> "real" systems...
16 >
17 > Definitely agree; any systems that I spend a substantial amount of time
18 > using run Gentoo. Nothing else is equal. I mostly run it on my home
19 > server because I want it to Just Work (tm) without any work on my part.
20 > It also prevents me from playing around too much with USE and other
21 > things, which is another bonus as I get more work done ;)
22
23 And you avoid being forced every couple years to choose between a
24 major version upgrade (which invariably turns into to a minor
25 disaster) or reinstall from scratch (which usually turns out a little
26 better, but requires that normal work stop for several days).
29 Grant