From: Stroller <stroller@××××××××××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Handbrake: Is it is or is it ain't in portage
Date: Mon, 16 Aug 2010 07:36:48
1 On 16 Aug 2010, at 04:02, Kevin O'Gorman wrote:
2 > ...
3 > My underling thing, if anyone can make other suggestions, is that my
4 > camera broke, and I had to get one in a hurry, and didn't really
5 > know what to look for. I wound up with a fairly good Sanyo 1080p
6 > camera and video recorder that's super light, and not too expensive.
7 > The problem is that its videos are MP4s, which are definitely not
8 > ready to put on a web site, and I know nothing about transcoding. My
9 > previous camera took acceptable .avi videos, which had worked with
10 > most folks browsers. The MP4s are huge and in a weakly supported
11 > format.
12
13 MP4 is a much better container format than .avi.
14
15 I previously discussed this a little in July's "viewing .m4v files
16 with totem" thread:
17 http://www.mail-archive.com/gentoo-user@l.g.o/msg103363.html
18
19 Use the `mplayer -identify` command given there to determine the codec
20 of your video.
21
22 Stroller.