From: Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Cc: Francesco Talamona <francesco.talamona@××××.eu>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: vixie-cron keeps stopping
Date: Fri, 16 Apr 2010 21:54:24
1 On Friday 16 April 2010 19:58:23 Francesco Talamona wrote:
2 > On Thursday 15 April 2010, Alan McKinnon wrote:
3 > > On Thursday 15 April 2010 02:58:15 Matt Harrison wrote:
4 > > > I apologise if this has come twice, it didn't appear to post
5 > > > correctly first time, not even on the archives.
6 > > >
7 > > > Its been happening for a while but I haven't got round to find out
8 > > > why, but every so often (anything between a week or an hour)
9 > > > vixie-cron just stops. There's nothing in the logs, the service
10 > > > just stops.
11 > > >
12 > > > I have no idea where to start looking for a culprit so I'm hoping
13 > > > someone here has some good ideas :)
14 > > >
15 > > > thanks in advance
16 > > >
17 > > > Matt
18 > >
19 > > You probably don't want to hear this, but:
20 > >
21 > > vixie-cron is problematic in the extreme. I have endless hassle with
22 > > it's weird behaviours.
23 > >
24 > > Use a different cron daemon.
25 >
26 > Your advice is vague :)
27
28 To answer this point:
29
30 vixie-cron does not reliably restart. You have to remember to kill it, verify
31 that it is indeed dead, then start it.
32
33 Of course, my use case is a lot more complex than just /etc/cron.*/* and yes,
34 I do expect a cron daemon to cope with my needs in it's stride. It's not hard
35 to cope with a 1000 line crontab. I have auth daemons running on ancient
36 hardware with 256M RAM that have to deal with 100+ auth requests a second and
37 a 5000-line config file. Despite my needs being complex, any cron daemon
38 should cope with that without breaking a sweat
41 alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com