From: Francesco Talamona <francesco.talamona@××××.eu>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: vixie-cron keeps stopping
Date: Fri, 16 Apr 2010 17:59:40
1 On Thursday 15 April 2010, Alan McKinnon wrote:
2 > On Thursday 15 April 2010 02:58:15 Matt Harrison wrote:
3 > > I apologise if this has come twice, it didn't appear to post
4 > > correctly first time, not even on the archives.
5 > >
6 > > Its been happening for a while but I haven't got round to find out
7 > > why, but every so often (anything between a week or an hour)
8 > > vixie-cron just stops. There's nothing in the logs, the service
9 > > just stops.
10 > >
11 > > I have no idea where to start looking for a culprit so I'm hoping
12 > > someone here has some good ideas :)
13 > >
14 > > thanks in advance
15 > >
16 > > Matt
17 >
18 > You probably don't want to hear this, but:
19 >
20 > vixie-cron is problematic in the extreme. I have endless hassle with
21 > it's weird behaviours.
22 >
23 > Use a different cron daemon.
24
25 Your advice is vague :)
26
27 I use app-admin/syslog-ng and I wouldn't change, Alan you too can try
28 it.
29
30 Ciao
31 Francesco
34 Linux Version 2.6.33-gentoo-r1, Compiled #1 SMP PREEMPT Sat Apr 10
35 17:35:50 CEST 2010
36 Two 2.9GHz AMD Athlon 64 Processors, 4GB RAM, 11659 Bogomips Total
37 aemaeth