From: lee <lee@××××××××.de>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Foss hardened router?
Date: Thu, 09 Jun 2016 21:21:06
1 James <wireless@×××××××××××.com> writes:
2
3 > Hello,
6 > Ideally, there would be a gentoo-based hardened router for sale somewhere,
7 > where I could merely configure iptables and add a few extra codes?
8 > But, I cannot seem to be able to locate such a product for sale,
9 > nor router company willing to configure such for an extra fee.
12 > So, dropping the Gentoo requirement (although still desired) is
13 > there a hardened (linux distro) router out there for sale that
14 > work for a small office environment? I have too many projects, atm,
15 > so I know I can build something, but was hoping for an off the shelf
16 > Foss hardened router. (3) gigE ports with or without wifi is fine.
17
18 https://www.ubnt.com/edgemax/edgerouter-lite/
19
20 It lacks good documentation; otherwise it's a great product.
21
22 It's surprising that there are so few routers to choose from, even when
23 you don't limit your selection to FOSS.
26 On a side note, never buy Cisco, not even used: They won't let you
27 download or otherwise obtain a replacement for the damaged firmware
28 image (not to mention an update) that came which the device, unless you
29 have a support contract with them. Without the firmware, the device is,
30 of course, useless.
31
32 No other, not even a cheap manufacturer like TP-Link --- who also makes
33 great products and has a responsive support --- doesn't give you any
34 issues like that while Cisco simply does not stand behind their
35 products and lets their customers down.