From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Testing a used hard drive to make SURE it is good.
Date: Tue, 16 Jun 2020 08:52:43
1 Neil Bothwick wrote:
2 > On Tue, 16 Jun 2020 02:34:55 -0500, Dale wrote:
3 >
4 >> Even if I build a NAS setup, I still need a backup arrangement.  Even if
5 >> I have a RAID setup, still need backups.  It gets complicated for sure.
6 >> Sort of expensive too.  Just imagine if my DSL was 10 times faster.
7 >> O_O  I'd need to order drives by the case.
8 > Not necessarily, if the files are going to remain available online, you
9 > only need to back up the URLs. Downloading again could well be faster
10 > than restoring from backups.
15 That's the thing, some I have are no longer available anywhere that I
16 can find.  Even youtube deletes videos with their censorship not because
17 of copyright but because they don't like the content.  Anytime I find a
18 good video that I think may be useful later, I download it so that I
19 have it.  For the most part, it's a good point.  Thing is, my DSL is far
20 slower than any drive I have, even if it was a USB drive using USB1
21 speeds.  Downloading is the best way to insure I can watch a video later.
22
23 Of course, videos aren't the only thing I don't want to lose.  I have a
24 lot of things I don't want to get away from me.  As we know, the more
25 copies in different locations the safer it is.  I wish I could use a
26 cloud account but as slow as my download is, upload is even slower, as
27 usual.
28
29 That said, I'm glad to have the info I have stored here.  I'm just
30 trying to make sure it doesn't get away from me.
31
32 I wish your way could work tho.
33
34 Dale