From: Iain Buchanan <iaindb@××××××××××××.au>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] is it toast?
Date: Fri, 24 Mar 2006 06:24:03
1 On Fri, 2006-03-24 at 07:03 +0100, Martin S wrote:
2 > I lent my USB stick to a guy for a job the other day. Apparently his
3 > Win98 box wanted to install drivers for it to work, so he pulled it
4 > before Wintendo (anything < 2000) could get to doing its stuff.
5 >
6 > Now I get
7 >
8 > SuicidalPuppy martoni # mount /mnt/usb/
9 > mount: block device /dev/sda is write-protected, mounting read-only
10 > mount: wrong fs type, bad option, bad superblock on /dev/sda,
11 > missing codepage or other error
12 > In some cases useful info is found in syslog - try
13 > dmesg | tail or so
14
15 The "read-only" is a bit misleading - I get this message when mount
16 can't understand the filesystem, even though it may be ok.
17
18 If you don't need any data from the drive, see if you can re-fdisk and
19 re-format it. Unplug it first and plug in again, just in case you did
20 something bad with hdparm.
24 He who laughs, lasts.
27 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list