From: Josh Cepek <josh.cepek@×××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] LVM Migration Example (was: Advice about setting up split home directory)
Date: Mon, 04 Aug 2008 22:49:04
1 Norberto Bensa wrote:
2 > Quoting Josh Cepek <josh.cepek@×××.net>:
3 >> 3) You can easily migrate between hard drives while the system is
4 >> online by moving LV's from one Physical Volume (PV) (eg: a hard disk)
5 >> to another.
6 >
7 > --!!
8 >
9 > Have you ever tried that? I've almost killed both hard drives doing an
10 > on-line migration to a bigger HD. I wouldn't recommend it.
11
12 Actually, yes, and with fairly decent results. You are right that his
13 process will take quite a while on large LV's, and doing other
14 disk-intensive operations at the same time will bring the system to a
15 crawl. However, I used this technique to remove an old NTFS partition
16 when I migrated to a VM for my Windows system.
17
18 To recover the space into a single larger PV (a single PV was important
19 for me here) I attached an external USB 2.0 drive, created a PV, and
20 added it to my pre-existing VG. I then pvmove-ed the data over to the
21 external drive, removed the old partitions, and re-created a single
22 larger partition on the internal drive. Once the LV's were migrated
23 back I removed the PV on the external drive.
24
25 In my case I also moved my non-LVM root partition to the end of the
26 drive after the migration to the external drive, but had I not needed to
27 do this I could have performed the entire operation without needing to
28 even reboot.
29
30 All in all I think this example demonstrates the utter flexibility you
31 get with LVM. I leave it up to each user to determine where flexibility
32 ends and insanity takes over ;)
36 Josh