From: Norberto Bensa <nbensa@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Advice about setting up split home directory
Date: Mon, 04 Aug 2008 03:58:59
1 Quoting Josh Cepek <josh.cepek@×××.net>:
2
3 > Personally I'd suggest using LVM for this
4
5 ++
6
7 > 1)
8
9 ++
10
11 > 2)
12
13 ++
14
15 > 3) You can easily migrate between hard drives while the system is
16 > online by moving LV's from one Physical Volume (PV) (eg: a hard disk)
17 > to another.
18
19 --!!
20
21 Have you ever tried that? I've almost killed both hard drives doing an
22 on-line migration to a bigger HD. I wouldn't recommend it.
26 > 4)
27
28 ++
29
30 > LVM is worth a look,
31
32 ++!!!
35 > /tmp, but I use tmpfs for that.) It's possible to do LVM on the /
36 > partition, but that requires an initrd to work properly.
37 >
38 > Josh
39
40 You can use genkernel for that. Just configure your kernel as always,
41 adding initrd features and then:
42
43 genkernel --lvm [your-options]
44
45 Easy.
48 Regards,
49 Norberto
50
52 This message was sent using IMP, the Internet Messaging Program.