From: Josh Cepek <josh.cepek@×××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Advice about setting up split home directory
Date: Sun, 03 Aug 2008 19:02:38
1 Alan E. Davis wrote:
2 > Thanks to advice on this list I have a reasonably stable system now, and
3 > it's time to get hands dirty. I have more GB of collected files than I
4 > can fit into my ~/ home directory, so I am planning to link several
5 > partitions to ~/ in an effort to organize this mass.
6
7 Personally I'd suggest using LVM for this, although migrating to LVM
8 would require you to back up your current filesystems (such as creating
9 a stage 4 as described on the gentoo-wiki), reformatting your
10 filesystems to LVM, and then un-tarring back to the LVM system. I'm not
11 sure if that's more work than you bargained for, but LVM has some
12 fantastic features that prevent these sort of "out of space" issues:
13
14 1) You can leave some hard disk space in the Volume Group (VG) initially
15 unallocated to Logical Volumes (LV's) and then add the unallocated space
16 later to an LV (and its underlying filesystem) when it starts to become
17 full. This ability to "grow" an LV and the underlying filesystem can
18 happen while the filesystem is online and in-use.
19
20 2) You can shrink LV's as well, although they need to be unmounted first.
21
22 3) You can easily migrate between hard drives while the system is online
23 by moving LV's from one Physical Volume (PV) (eg: a hard disk) to another.
24
25 4) You can add multiple hard drives to an LVM Volume Group (VG -
26 essentially a collection of PV's) and use the storage space from both
27 drives to allocate space to an LV.
28
29 LVM is worth a look, at least to understand some of its benefits. I
30 typically set my root partition at about 512 MB and then create LVM
31 partitions for /home, /usr, /opt, and /var. (You could do the same for
32 /tmp, but I use tmpfs for that.) It's possible to do LVM on the /
33 partition, but that requires an initrd to work properly.
37 Josh