From: "Alan E. Davis" <lngndvs@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Advice about setting up split home directory
Date: Mon, 04 Aug 2008 05:10:40
1 Norberto and Josh:
2
3 Thank you for the suggestion. It's on the back burner. I have the space to
4 experiment with it now. I have balked for the time being on basis of,
5 partly, my need to be able to swap drives in and out, and have it clear in
6 mind which partitions belong to what. Also my main drive is a 10000 RPM
7 faster drive, and I'd like to keep the partitions or directories that are
8 mainly for storage separated. I really do notice a difference in the
9 performance of the drive. this is somewhat of a conundrum: how to keep the
10 current projects focused on the faster drive.
11
12 Interestingly (to me) while I carefully planned for swap on the faster
13 drive, since I moved to 2GB of RAM, I think I've only touched swap two or
14 three times, and then only passingly!
15
16 I definitely wouldn't want to put / into LVM.
17
18 If I do LVM it will be the easy way, the most clearcut way.
19
20 Alan