From: Drew Tomlinson <drew@××××××××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Advice about setting up split home directory
Date: Sun, 10 Aug 2008 14:36:45
1 Alan E. Davis wrote:
2 > Norberto and Josh:
3 >
4 > Thank you for the suggestion. It's on the back burner. I have the
5 > space to experiment with it now. I have balked for the time being on
6 > basis of, partly, my need to be able to swap drives in and out, and
7 > have it clear in mind which partitions belong to what. Also my main
8 > drive is a 10000 RPM faster drive, and I'd like to keep the partitions
9 > or directories that are mainly for storage separated. I really do
10 > notice a difference in the performance of the drive. this is somewhat
11 > of a conundrum: how to keep the current projects focused on the faster
12 > drive.
13 >
14 > Interestingly (to me) while I carefully planned for swap on the faster
15 > drive, since I moved to 2GB of RAM, I think I've only touched swap two
16 > or three times, and then only passingly!
17 >
18 > I definitely wouldn't want to put / into LVM.
19 >
20 > If I do LVM it will be the easy way, the most clearcut way.
21
22 As one that's used LVM and other similar software in both Windows and
23 the BSDs, be sure you understand the risk involved. While the idea of
24 "one big drive" sounds appealing (which is why I used it), lose one
25 drive and you lose everything in the LV unless you are mirroring, using
26 parity, or some combination of both. I have been bit by this time and
27 time again and have finally decided that LVM is not worth the hassle for
28 me any longer, especially since a 1 TB drive can be found easily for
29 less than $200 (US).
30
31 Anyway, I'm not knocking those who use LVM. Just understand the risk. :)
32
33 Cheers,
34
35 Drew