From: Peter Humphrey <peter@××××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Setting up postfix and dovecot
Date: Thu, 10 Jan 2019 16:59:25
On Tuesday, 25 December 2018 17:49:36 GMT Grant Taylor wrote:

[Big snip...]

> I think there may be more subtle things than you might be aware of. > I say that based on the context of your email. You are asking very > reasonable questions. But they seem fairly new to the process. As > such, I think some of the things along the way are going to surprise you. > > With that in mind, please allow me to make some recommendations: > > 1) Use a (sub)domain that is globally registered. > 2) Use a Let's Encrypt SSL certificate on the globally recognized FQDN. > 3) Use split DNS for internal / external resolution. > 4) I think forwarding might be the slightly lesser of the evils to get > email from your ISP to your server. But that requires external > accessibility to your email server. - I say this because fetchmail (et > al) functionally retrieves email and re-injects it as SMTP to your local > server. Thus forwarding at least doesn't switch protocols. > > Finally, postfix / dovecot / et al, make little difference in my > opinion. I think you could easily substitute different daemons in their > place. IMHO there is quite a bit more to think about than which of the > specific daemons you will run or how to configure them. Rather the > specific daemons fall in line after you have the answers to all the > other questions and a plan of action.
That's been my difficulty all along: understanding what I need to do, before trying to set it up. Your recommendations are a great help in that, together with the considerable detail you offered. Many thanks for all the time and trouble you put into your reply, Grant. I am grateful, and you can be sure I'll act on it. Thanks again. -- Regards, Peter.